• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Landlords and Bunnies

Shellypops

Wise Old Thumper
I have noticed a lot of the Landlords I am looking at specify no pets. Which i can understand.

Will this include outside bunnies do you think?? Obviously I'm going to ask them individually. I am viewing a place tonight you see and not sure how to bring it up surley outdoor bunnies should be fine :?

I would have thought they mean no indoor pets, as if something is outside in a hutch they won't be doing any damage to the house :wave:

I would have thought they mean no indoor pets, as if something is outside in a hutch they won't be doing any damage to the house :wave:

Okay cool, I'm sure bunnies will be fine, I'm not gonna lie I'm really sad about it!! But looking forward to a hay free house

When our landlord said no pets we asked him if we could have a house rabbit and he went "an indoor one? free range? yeah of course, I just don't want people rocking up with 6 cats and 5 dogs." We asked him to put in our contract that small furries and fish are acceptable. Just so there wouldn't be any issue at the end of the tenancy which he was happy to do :)

I cant remember what my contract stated, I know they said 'caged' animals were fine. Landlord visited and we showed him Bunsk indoors and he was fine.

I would just ask them their views on it, a lot of the time they say yes, sometimes asking for an extra deposit to cover any damage.

Our contract says no pets, we have two cats, two tortoises, a lizard and two (outdoor) bunnies.

do you want to put the buns outside? i've always mentioned that i have guinea pigs and rabbits - and a couple of hutches - never been a problem as they presume that they're outside pets......:oops:

mostly they mean cats and dogs - you can but ask:D

:shock:I have never rented from anyone else apart from my mother in law, so thanks for the tipe, I have no idea what I am doing

do you want to put the buns outside? i've always mentioned that i have guinea pigs and rabbits - and a couple of hutches - never been a problem as they presume that they're outside pets......:oops:

mostly they mean cats and dogs - you can but ask:D

I don't mind them being outside as long as I can bring them in to play from time to time, and I'm worried about the snow and stuff :oops:

It totally depends, definitely ask each landlord infividually - the ad for our current place specified no pets, but they were happy to have Beau, just didn't want cats or dogs. And the new place didn't specify in the ad but were happy to have cats dogs, rabbits whatever!

I doubt it they wouldnt bother me as a landlord providing I knew. Children in the house would bother me more than pets to be honest

I doubt it they wouldnt bother me as a landlord providing I knew. Children in the house would bother me more than pets to be honest

Yeah i understand that, I would rather just be honest and if they would prefer them outside then so be it.

This house has a utility room which is completley bare of everything, so I could maybe ask whether they could be kept in there. Yes Children draw on the walls, but Carlo chews the walls :roll:

Little scamp :lol:

It totally depends, definitely ask each landlord infividually - the ad for our current place specified no pets, but they were happy to have Beau, just didn't want cats or dogs. And the new place didn't specify in the ad but were happy to have cats dogs, rabbits whatever!

Okay well this one hasn't specified, it's not in the greatest area in the world so would have to look at how secure the garden was

My contract is 'no pets' - but i spoke to my landlady and she said "basically, i dont want dogs and cats in the house" i asked about bunnies and she said "thats fine, in or out, as long as the house is as it was when you leave"

I think the landlord/ladies can be flexible, but they put it down as a standard.

My contract is 'no pets' - but i spoke to my landlady and she said "basically, i dont want dogs and cats in the house" i asked about bunnies and she said "thats fine, in or out, as long as the house is as it was when you leave"

I think the landlord/ladies can be flexible, but they put it down as a standard.

Cool, my mum said that as well :wave:

Our contract says "no pets", but our letting agents know about the rabbits, and they are outside all the time. I didn't mention the occasional indoor foster bunny. Our landlord can't complain, though, as I have redesigned and majorly improved his garden at our cost, and we do a lot of the small repairs ourselves and hardly ever complain about things.

Just be honest about the bunnies before you sign anything. Good luck with the viewings. :)

Our contract says "no pets", but our letting agents know about the rabbits, and they are outside all the time. I didn't mention the occasional indoor foster bunny. Our landlord can't complain, though, as I have redesigned and majorly improved his garden at our cost, and we do a lot of the small repairs ourselves and hardly ever complain about things.

Just be honest about the bunnies before you sign anything. Good luck with the viewings. :)

I'm excited, this will be my first viewing, any other tips on renting and what to ask are greatly appreciated :D

It really depends its good that you ask as many of the people who said no pets meant cats and dogs they didnt mind "caged animals" I explained what my two would be in to my agents and they said as long as they are in a area that they cant escape and have flooring that stops them getting to the property carpet

they also did not mind the buns being outside in a shed/hutch again as long as they dont dig up the turf

I'm excited, this will be my first viewing, any other tips on renting and what to ask are greatly appreciated :D

Ask about how much the council tax will be. How much is the deposit, are there any fees to pay for renewing the contract. How long is the contract for.

Ask them to show you the energy thingy (not sure what it's called) for the house/flat. The lower down it is, the more energy you will have to use to heat it, etc.. if it is well insulated, the windows are double glazed and not drafty, then your heating bill will be much lower. Find out the type of heating, and whether there is a meter for the water.

Take a look into the neighbours' gardens from the upstairs windows. If there is a cannabis plantation, you may want to find a better place (happened to us during a viewing :lol: ). You can tell quite a lot about the neighbours from what their gardens look like.

Check how secure the garden is and if it has a shaded place for the bunnies. The fence should be tall enough to keep dogs out.

Do you have a good sense of smell? See if you can smell mould, or whether you can find some damp corners on the ceiling. Sometimes you can see mould along the windows. A damp and mouldy house can be very unhealthy and cause a lot of problems, especially if you are thinking about having a baby. And it can't always be improved by opening the windows more often. It can be structural due to a badly insulated roof, etc..

If you would like my opinion on any properties, PM me the links and I will have a look. :)

Yeah i understand that, I would rather just be honest and if they would prefer them outside then so be it.

This house has a utility room which is completley bare of everything, so I could maybe ask whether they could be kept in there. Yes Children draw on the walls, but Carlo chews the walls :roll:

Little scamp :lol:

:lol: yes A and E did that too!! YOu could offer to get some thin woodchip and line the walls out so they are safe

Back