• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Anyone living in a flat with rabbits?

FriskyClover

Warren Veteran
Apologies if this has already been covered!

I am looking at finally getting my own home and I have seen a flat that I really like (it's Grade 2 listed and very safe), it is also well within my budget. However, the snag is that it obviously does not have a garden:cry:.

My two currently live in a shed with access to a run during daylight hours. They are both 7 years old, Inky has joint problems (which are made worse by the cold) and hayfever. Smokey is prone to GI stasis, particularly when the weather changes (weird but true).

I really want them to be house rabbits, particularly in the winter, but I worry that they would miss going outside in the summer if they lived in a flat (Smokey loves sunbathing). Also, I feel quite strongly about rabbits being able to do things like dig and graze as they would in the wild. On the other hand, the flat is very airy and has lots of windows and space for them to run around.

I know deep down I want a house but I just can't seem to find one that is in my price range that is secure enough for me to feel safe leaving the rabbits on their own all day in.

I guess what I wonder is should I hold out for a house or consider a flat?

Thanks,

FC x

we ive in a flat but always knew it was only for a year....

I couldnt live in a flat for a long time its not fair to the buns imo.....but if they have a lot of space then its not so bad

if you are going to live in a flat take the advice of the people on here to give the buns as much space as possible

mine live in a 48" dog cage with a 48" Pen attached

most flats dnt allow for that much room which is why we went for this one so they could have lots of room....

if your going for a flat there needs to be enough room for them

I used to be in a flat with a garden (they do exist!) but A and E were always inside and seemed quite happy. Albert is a bit of a wuss though

Mine have always been indoors, and they seem to like having run of my flat, they never really go out that much, but I don't think that it's unfair on them as they have run of the whole flat and binky everywhere :D

Apologies if this has already been covered!

I am looking at finally getting my own home and I have seen a flat that I really like (it's Grade 2 listed and very safe), it is also well within my budget. However, the snag is that it obviously does not have a garden:cry:.

My two currently live in a shed with access to a run during daylight hours. They are both 7 years old, Inky has joint problems (which are made worse by the cold) and hayfever. Smokey is prone to GI stasis, particularly when the weather changes (weird but true).

I really want them to be house rabbits, particularly in the winter, but I worry that they would miss going outside in the summer if they lived in a flat (Smokey loves sunbathing). Also, I feel quite strongly about rabbits being able to do things like dig and graze as they would in the wild. On the other hand, the flat is very airy and has lots of windows and space for them to run around.

I know deep down I want a house but I just can't seem to find one that is in my price range that is secure enough for me to feel safe leaving the rabbits on their own all day in.

I guess what I wonder is should I hold out for a house or consider a flat?

Thanks,

FC x

Haven't got any advice, but what are the symptoms of hay fever ?
She could have a respiratory infection,

I live in a flat but I do have a balcony they can go on sometimes. There was a long time when they couldn't go out there though and they didn't seem adversely affected by it. Just be prepared to do a lot of bunny-proofing!

Mine have always been indoors, and they seem to like having run of my flat, they never really go out that much, but I don't think that it's unfair on them as they have run of the whole flat and binky everywhere :D

thats different though as some landlords demand if you have them they must be cages and not have free run

my landlord had terms to having my two

i had to run the dog cage and pen by him and have him agree thats secure and non damaging to the property enough

if the landlord lets you have them looose and they have total access to the flat then yeah thats totally not unfair

but if like some landlords they demand they stay in a cage like the plastic bottom ones pet at home sell then thats not fair.....

my landlord was very nice

I live in a flat, we have a garden but it's shared with the hairdressers we live above, has no grass and is really not bunny safe so they don't go out.
I think they're really happy indoors all the time, obviously in an ideal world they'd get out and graze on some grass but I dont think they feel like they're missing out by not doing. They have tons of space and have far to much to investigate and keep them busy to miss being outside I think.
We grow little trays of grass for them to munch on now and then, and I fill a sandwich bag with grass and weeds from my mums garden when I visit. Also if you have family near by you can always get a collapsable run and take them round to use their garden now and then to get a bit of fresh air and grazing time.

bunsks can definately be happy if they are free ranging in a flat - mine were doing binkies around my bedroom all morning and regularly come and snuggle on my bed if i'm having a lie in

Mine are indoors, and don't get to go outside at all in the winter. in the summer we put them out maybe 3-4 times a week for a couple of hours, but I honestly don't think the're bothered about it.

I think if they have space to run around in the flat they'd be fine - go on Youtube and search for 'energizer bunny' (would post a link but can't get on it at work) - they don't need to be outside to run around.

I live in a flat :wave:

My two are in a pen of approximately 20sqft at night, then have run of my bedroom, the hall and the kitchen in the day. They will also have the lounge, but I have only just moved in so havent got around to bunny-proofing it properly yet (they wee on the sofas). They get more space indoors than they would outside, even if I had a Rabbit Welfare Association standard setup. Therefore I think it is actually a good thing they are indoors. One of my bunnies needs a lot of attention, and being indoors means that he can have a lot more.

As long as you can give them a large amount of room, preferably having them free-range all day or 24/7 if possible, I see no reason why an indoor setup cannot be as good as an outdoor one. I too would like my bunnies to have access to grass and digging, so they dig blankets, rugs, my duvet or the foam mats in their pen, and I grow grass for them in trays which they get occasionally.

Given the health issues that your bunnies have, it even sounds like it may be preferable for them to live indoors. Just remember to clear it with your landlord, and make sure you bunny-proof the flat properly!

Some possible issues for you to consider though - does the flat have any loose carpet or loose or textured wallpaper? Because these can be VERY tempting to bunnies. Also, it may be worth considering how much your bunnies chew their hutch, as if they chew your bunny-proofing will have to be much more advanced.

thats different though as some landlords demand if you have them they must be cages and not have free run

my landlord had terms to having my two

i had to run the dog cage and pen by him and have him agree thats secure and non damaging to the property enough

if the landlord lets you have them looose and they have total access to the flat then yeah thats totally not unfair

but if like some landlords they demand they stay in a cage like the plastic bottom ones pet at home sell then thats not fair.....

my landlord was very nice

Yeah I know, I'm not looking forward to having to confine mine to anything smaller than a bedroom when I get my new place

I used to live in a small house without a garden, and Toby used to have free roam of the living room, stairs and landing. He was really happy inside, always doing binkies and used to have his own chair that he would sit on. He used to get loads of exercise. In time he even learnt how to open my bedroom door, and would often sleep outside the bedroom door when I was asleep and wait for me til morning!
What I will say though, is bunny proof! I went through 3 house phones and had to pay a lot of money to fix my boyfriend's playstation as he had nibbled through the wires, and he pulled wall paper off the walls in the living room, and pulled the carpet up on the landing. Needless to say, I lost some money on my bond lol.
It's not cruel in my opinion, as long as they get exercise, they enjoy it!

I live in a house with a garden, but i never let my two outside! They have been out once.

Mine have always lived in a flat with me (rented) and I have just bought a flat so they will be seeing out the rest of their lives indoors.

My two are completely happy indoors, they run and binky, love exploring and seem to like the human company too (although I imagine a lot of it is food related), they get a lots more cuddles than I could give them if they were outside.

Mine positively hate it outside, when I go to my Mum and Dad's with them and put them in the run in the garden they sit in a corner and can't wait to come in so I guess my situation is slightly different to yours.

I am sure you will give the best possible care to your bunnys wherever you live so they will be ok whatever you can afford. I would ideally love a garden but could never have afforded a house.

Mine live in my flat with me.

They have a 6.5 x 2.5 pen attached to a 4 x 3 dog crate.
they get free-range time as well.

they don't go outside and both are happy enough :)

I live in a flat with a shared garden. Its quite large and grassy but the upstairs neighbours cat tried to pounce on them, the one and only time I had them out, so they are indoors permanently. They get plenty of space inside.

Frodo freeranges in our flat 24/7 - at night he is shut in the bedroom with us. Very rarely is he shut in his crate, only really if we go somewhere and he comes with us :wave:

Thanks for all the replies :D They are really helpful. Ideally, I would like a house but at least now I feel that if I go for a larger flat, they won't miss too much. If they were in a flat, they would definitely have to be free-range, so I would have to do some serious bunny-proofing (Inky loves taking wallpaper off walls when he comes in the house) :lol:

Haven't got any advice, but what are the symptoms of hay fever ?
She could have a respiratory infection,

He only sneezes in high pollen situations and he has no other respiratory symptoms. I've had a bunny-savvy vet check him over too.

Thanks again for all the ideas and experiences,

FC x

Thanks for all the replies :D They are really helpful. Ideally, I would like a house but at least now I feel that if I go for a larger flat, they won't miss too much. If they were in a flat, they would definitely have to be free-range, so I would have to do some serious bunny-proofing (Inky loves taking wallpaper off walls when he comes in the house) :lol:

Make sure the landlord/agents are happy with freerange

also be aware they will pee on the carpet and if not dealt with asap it Staines
if it stains permantly you will have to pay for it to be cleaned and if that dsnt work they can make you pay for new carpeting

to avoid this I would ask them to add to the contract or draw up another stating you will pay a deposit for the buns something in the region of £50-100 so that if there are damages that covers that and they dont take advantage and you dont fork out loads

Back