• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dental costs

karen1980

Mama Doe
Please can anyone advise the rough cost for a dental?

Im looking at p@h insurance but they limit dentals to £350 a year of the £1500 cover.

Milo has no signs of dental issues but just wondering if he did is £350 a year sensible cover?

they seem to vary a lot! mine are roughly £120 each but from previous threads on here, the difference is huge!

plus, it would depend how many times he needed them done (if he did). somebuns need dentals as often as 4 weekly, some just once or twice per year.

how old is he? how much does your vet charge per dental?

sorry - not much advice but they really do vary with cost and frequency:)

He's a year old and no signs of issues but want to get good insurance at a fiar price so not sure if to go for p@h or pet plan.

Pet plan is nearly double p@h

Would you have to pay an excess on those dentals or would they cover the whole thing? If you do pay an excess, how much?

I pay £50 for a dental. My vet has always been reasonable though and theres no set price as they aparently calculatee it based on the size of the bun and how much anaesthetic is needed.

I dont know if this is the norm, but the price is very cheap compared to most.

I've paid between £90 and £120 for dentals that need GA ,depends whats needed and how long they're under GA , just burring front teeth is under a tenner.

I think it varies a lot between vets and also what dental work is needed.

Biscuit had his first dental, that was £86.

Ginger's had several, they normally cost ~£60, but that was before our vet left :/ She normally needs one every 8 weeks, give or take a few days.

So for Ginger 8.5 ( 52/8 ) x 60 = £510. Insurance companies certainly wouldn't cover Ginger's reason for needing dentals.

Last edited:
To be honest, to me, £350 doesnt sound that much.

Not because of routine dentals but because other problems rabbits can have with their teeth. If it's just routine dentals that covers then it could be ok, but if it's other dental related things such as mouth abcesses, infections etc caused by teeth issues, I would say it's not enough. Poppy has cost me an absolute fortune with dental issues and they didn't start until I had had her for at least 18 months, i would say I have spent at least £2000 in the last 2 and a half years and Poppy's teeth problems alone.

wowser! the excess is +£65 Sky o.

Will check the small print for the dental related issues thanks

I personally wouldn't see much of a point if the excess was that much because my dentals cost me only a little over that anyway. Mine are £70- fixed price dentals.

If you intend to insure anyway, then it's an added bonus, but I wouldn't insure specifically to get that amount paid.

^^^ this:)

i have my 2 registered on my vet's own practise plan whereby for 6 or 7 quid a month, i get 20% off dental costs, 10% off medicines and they each get a bi-annual check up included plus vhd & one of the myxi jabs.

The rasping of the teeth itself was about £10, the anesthetic around £25, the xray around another £25, the gut stimulant and metacam injection after another £15. But then he had a gut slowdown due to the dental and I had to go back a couple of times for gut stimulants and liquid food, in all it cost me around £120-130.

I think we paid 65 Pounds for a dental, only needed one for Penny a few years ago. Ask your vet for a list of prices and maybe they can recommend an insurance.

Back