• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Ear types and Hearing

happysaz133

Wise Old Thumper
Never thought about this before, but it just came to me.

Do lop eared rabbits have as good hearing as uppy eared bunnies? I'm thinking they probably wouldn't have, although I know some lops have the ability to put one or both ears up when they are listening.

Does anyone know if their hearing is as good what with their ears going down and in? Purely curiosity, nothing is wrong with any ears here!

My lionheads can definitely hear better than my lops. Nutmeg especially is very in tune to any sounds, more than Smudge who is 'one up, one down' :lol:

Uppy eared rabbits certainly have better hearing than lops, nethies are another extreme too, their senses are compromised because of selective breeding.

I think the closer they are to the wildies, the better their senses are?

Nethies senses arent very good because, their eyes are in a different place to where they would normally be because of their head shape. Which makes their vision not as good. Many of them startle more easily than other rabbits. Their hearing is also effected, eventhough they have uppy ears, they arent large enough to funnel sounds as efficiently as other rabbits, such as a dutch bunny.

Sorry, you werent really asking about nethies, were you. :lol: I mentioned it because of Arran though :)

Last edited:
Uppy eared rabbits certainly have better hearing than lops, nethies are another extreme too, their senses are compromised because of selective breeding.

I think the closer they are to the wildies, the better their senses are?

Nethies senses arent very good because, their eyes are in a different place to where they would normally be because of their head shape. Which makes their vision not as good. Many of them startle more easily than other rabbits. Their hearing is also effected, eventhough they have uppy ears, they arent large enough to funnel sounds as efficiently as other rabbits, such as a dutch bunny.

Sorry, you werent really asking about nethies, were you. :lol: I mentioned it because of Arran though :)

Someone should be telling my 11 nethies this. :lol: I only have one wth compromised hearing and she has gone deaf as she aged.

I would suspect they would struggle with hearing.

Generally though, with mine, I find they have selective hearing :roll:

i don't have much to go on but i know that essie (uppy eared) can hear a gnat break wind 50 yards away:lol:

the loppy bun i'm looking after though, i'm not sure whether his hearing isn't so good or he chooses to ignore me......

Alvin is deaf (lop) and Holly is either ignorant or hard of hearing (lop) Pearl could hear me call her/hear the sweet tin rattle from upstairs when i was downstairs (uppy)

Someone should be telling my 11 nethies this. :lol: I only have one wth compromised hearing and she has gone deaf as she aged.

I would suspect they would struggle with hearing.

Generally though, with mine, I find they have selective hearing :roll:

:lol: me too! theyre sometimes unsure of new people, but theyre fine with me now they know me. Skye is a little unsure still, but shes getting there. Shes just very hand shy!

I think my lop Rolo is very selective regarding his hearing. I can yell till Im blue in the face to try to get him to stop eating the wallpaper and it literally goes in one and out the other ear!

But...if I open his food tub in the kitchen and he's asleep under one of the beds upstairs......he can be by my side in moments.

God gave buns ears like that for a reason and he certainly knows how to use them!:lol:

Rach x

Back