• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bumble had a fight - seems OK now

Rhianna

Wise Old Thumper
I am on-call tonight so went to feed the bunsters and give Dylan his meds earlier. Bumble was in his hutch so I removed the divider to fill Faye and Furby's water bowl. When I turned around from putting it in their hutch Bumble and Molly were locked together fighting. It looked really viscious:(:(

Bumble had Molly's neck in his mouth and when I lifted him up he had a mouth full of fur. There was a lot of blood on his fur and I got covered in it. I took him indoors and bathed the side of his face and put some sudacrem on it. There was only a tiny mark - I think the blood looked worst as he is white. I popped him back in his hutch with some carrot tops and dandelion leaves and went to check Molly. I couldn't see a mark on her and she was happily tucking into her noms.

I had to go to work but I dashed back to check on them and Bumble was out in the run and jumped into the hutch when he heard me as he usually does. I shut their hutches up for the night and went back to work.

I feel awful that Bumble got hurt because I left the divider down while I put the water in the other hutch. He never comes out of the hutch when I feed him. Even if he is in the run he jumps into the hutch.

I am now very worried about bonding him with Molly, Munchkin and Dylan. I've done a few bondings and nobun has ever fought to draw blood like that. It was really nasty and Molly is usually a loving, maternal bun. I am now thinking again about maybe rehoming him a wifebun of his own. I guess it may be related to his poor sight - but he seemed to be the more viscious one and yet Molly is unharmed!

Bumble was incredibly good when I bathed his face and put the cream on. He didn't struggle at all and snuggled in my arms happily when I gave him a cuddle. I will check his face in the morning and take him to the vet if it looks at all infected. It had stopped bleeding by the time I bathed it.

I feel a very bad Bunny Mummy but still don't understand how Bumble got out of the hutch and over to the other side of the run so quickly. For a poor sighted bun he can certainly move!!!

Last edited:
Sounds like it was just one of those unfortunate things :? My buns often seem to to cover a huge distance in milleseconds, or I'll search the room for them and not find them, then turn around and they've magically reappeared by my feet!

Good that both Dylan and Molly seem ok, I'd be inclined to still give the bonding a go, as the process will be very different, but I have no bonding experience so its easy for me to say :oops: Good luck xx

oh dear ... dont feel bad . these things happen sometimes .

it doesnt mean the bond wouldnt still work .

the dynamics of bonding a four...in neutral territory ...would be completly different .

could just have been a simple *hey thats my space ..get out *

oh dear ... dont feel bad . these things happen sometimes .

it doesnt mean the bond wouldnt still work .

the dynamics of bonding a four...in neutral territory ...would be completly different .

could just have been a simple *hey thats my space ..get out *

Yes, could have been as Bumble was in Molly's 'side' of the run. Checked his face when I got in from work earlier and I can't see where he was bitten. He didn't flinch at all when I touched it so I don't think it's sore and it definitely isn't swollen. He is remarkably good at being examined - didn't struggle at all. He seems to be enjoying cuddles more as well. We had a lovely snuggle after I checked his face:love:

I'm off to work again now (different job) but will check him again in a couple of hours and put some more sudacrem on. He is eating and exploring the run as usual so I think he is OK. Molly is fine as well - not a mark on her.

Poor little Bumble. I feel bad he is hurt but he was definitely hanging onto poor Molly's neck. She is the tiniest of the trio and not a lot bigger than Bumble. If that happens again when I try a bond in neutral territory I wouldn't continue with it as I am not going to risk stressing Dylan out. This time he was in the hutch and I don't think he even noticed the fight.

I have now put an extra barrier at the divider - just to make sure nobun can cross it. I am still amazed at how fast Bumble moved as I've made steps down from the hutch. He must have jumped them and run straight over to the other part of the run. Speedy Bumble Bun:love:

karen hun.....dylans like bertie..too old to start a fight or carry on one..but the odd grunt and lunge to keep the pecking order up. so dylan would probably just let the younger buns have the battle..ive had that before in previous groups/pairs.

i agree..molly was just defending her teritory:love:

i have phoebe in my room..shes decided she prefers the cats to me:(:lol:

lily and merlin are in nikkis room.....were hoping he and lily will bond using our supervised play dates that weve had success with with other buns in the past.

its never easy and you feel over protective for your poorly old an...i am the same with bertie;)

its real early days yet karen...dont be put off bonding....i was and now think..nope a trio it will be...eventually..i hope:oops:

just chill...youve done the care.....ties all thats needed....being next to the other buns etc all helps in the long run.

aww your bumble sounds like our lily:love:

I've been checking Bumble regularly and his face seems OK so I haven't taken him to the vet. It isn't sore or swollen and he is acting normally.

I do think he is feeling lonely though so may need to consider bonding sooner than I was intending. My bonding pen is being used for foster buns but I could put the bonding buns into my double shower - I've got some carpet I could put down first. Or I could bond in my bedroom with one of the pens I have in the garden. The latter may be a better idea as sleeping in the shower room could be tricky - it's very small:(

I am still really scared of bonding since Bumble and Molly had their fight:cry:

Had a lovely cuddle with Bumble at supper time. Gave him a nose rub the way Angie said he likes it. I asked him if he wanted a bunny friend and he is uncertain. Think he is slightly worried about sharing his noms - he doesn't eat many pellets but he loves his fresh veg:love:

Back