• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

what would you do?

joey

Warren Scout
Ok imagine scene. You are driving home when you narrowly miss a baby bunny hopping around in the road.
He catch the poor thing and discover it belongs to an asian family nearby. You knock on the door and they take the bunny off you without so much as a thank you.

Roll on a few more weeks and you see it hopping around in the road again. This time the woman of the house chased it back into their garden.

Now moving forward a little you wake early one morning to find bunny happily feeding in your garden.

What do you do?

A, Take the rabbit in yourself

B, return once again to the family.

If it's escaped three times and they didn't seem happy for it to return, it doesn't sound like the care.
However it could be a case of, if that bunny doesnt come back, they'll just buy another one...

I actually don't know what I'd do. :oops:

It's a toughie because I know that people on here have had bunnies escape more than once, and I have never assumed that meant they were bad owners, so similarly I don't think I could assume this family are either .... maybe they were a bit rude for not saying thank you, but that's another matter.

I'm not sure what relevance the family's race has to do with it though.

It's at risk if it keeps escaping, so I'd keep it. You should ring your local council/rspca or someone too and let them know their rabbits are running free and they aren't doing anything about it

I actually don't know what I'd do. :oops:

It's a toughie because I know that people on here have had bunnies escape more than once, and I have never assumed that meant they were bad owners, so similarly I don't think I could assume this family are either .... maybe they were a bit rude for not saying thank you, but that's another matter.

I'm not sure what relevance the family's race has to do with it though.

They may look upon pets and pet-care differently.

I wouldn't return it, but if I couldn't keep it I would take it to a rescue. That gives them the chance to get it back if they wish.

Keep it. Report it found with local vets and the RSPCA. If they put up posters or contact you then they obviously care about the bunny and I would then give it back. Maybe accompanied by some care leaflets. :)

Keep it. Report it found with local vets and the RSPCA. If they put up posters or contact you then they obviously care about the bunny and I would then give it back. Maybe accompanied by some care leaflets. :)

Probably this is the best option. At least then they are given yet another chance by you placing adverts etc but it is likely you will end up being the proud parent of a new bunny, which I presume would be your preference. Having lost my lovely Gracie nearly a year ago when she escaped I worry that if she was ever found it may have been assumed I didn't care or set her loose deliberatedly. If I had been lucky enough to get her back there is no way she ever would have escaped again, I would have made certain of that. I miss her so much.

in the words of Michael Jackson "it dont matter if youre black or white keep the rabbit"....or something like that im sure he mentioned bunnehs!

As you have found a stray rabbit in your garden, it would seem reasonable that you put up posters, inform vets, local welfare centres etc that you are looking after it. That gives the owners a chance to phone you and claim it back, if they don't do that then they obviously aren't that bothered about the bunny.

The poster idea seems the.best option, cos then you are doing nothing illegal. Though I wouldn't show a picture of the buuny as you could get snake owners calling you looking for free snake food claiming the bunny is theirs.

If the real bunny's owners call you, then.you know they do care and probably think it is more natural for a bunny to run free than to be in.a.cage.

Complement them on the lovely bunny they have.got and start the conversation in that way.
A friend of mine was once in a similar situation where an Armenien family (a lovely family by the.way) let their bunny run free as well. She got talking to them and at.first they were quite stand offish as they thought she.would lecture them, but once she had shown them the pictures of her bunnies they started talking.
To cut a long story short when the.eldest daughter saw how knowlegeable my friend was about bunnies and how happy my friends bunnies were she one day asked my friend if she didn't want to keep their bunny.
Obviously this was my friend's plan all along.

Back