• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Stuff to help a bunny bounce back from a dental?

nessar

Warren Veteran
If Barney does have a dental soon, which looks likely, I want to be prepared this time, so what can I have ready? He went into gut slowdown last time and emergency vets would cripple me financially at the moment. So I need stuff to help him bounce back so it doesnt happen this time!

I have on my list already:
Metacam (should I ask for dog or cat?)
Oxbow Critical Care -141g
Fibreplex
Mint (its his favourite herb)
Carrot (again a favourite food to encourage eating)

anything else?

I'm sure I read somewhere pineapple is good for gut slowdowns, but why?

i use cat metacam for eric post-dental and make sure i have a good supply of dill in and loads of bramble and raspberry leaves.

i've never used pineapple for mine so i'm afraid i can't answer that.

hope all goes well xx

I only ever use Dog Metacam (it is three times the strength of cat metacam so you need to give less to get the same affect).

I keep their routine as much as possible, make and effort to be relaxed and calm and spend time with them, try and give them things they like to stimulate them, get them in peak condition before the dental, send them with food and their own home comforts to the vets (bowls, fleece blanket, Sky goes with a item of my clothing :lol::roll:, stuff like that, whatever they are used to), have them at the vets for the minimal amount of time, tell the vets what they like when it comes to being stroked so that the nurses will do that (and they do, they are awesome).

Essentially, I just make it as stress free as possible.

Sky took 3 weeks to come back to normal from his second dental, but he did with some sneaky tactics. The time after that, only took two days.

Read your bunny, know your bunny, know what makes them tick, and their triggers, and hopefully it will be better than before.

Your list seems fine to me...I just used to stock up on everything Sorrel liked best to eat, a little bit of everything, so she could pick whatever she felt she "needed" most.

Marnie ( a chinchilla but it's the same principle) goes to the vet with her favourite sleeping basket, to make her feel secure. If your bun has anything he's particularly fond of, maybe that could help.

My understanding of pineapple juice is that it's good for problems caused by fur blockage, because the enzyme in it breaks down the fur. i'm not aware of it having a use for general non hair related gut issues, although I could be wrong.

Hope your boy is ok :wave:

Ahh thank you everyone, I will get in some other noms too, I've gotta see where I can get apple sticks from, as they were one of the only things he was keen on last time.

Ahh thank you everyone, I will get in some other noms too, I've gotta see where I can get apple sticks from, as they were one of the only things he was keen on last time.

I can post you a few if you want :wave: Let me know. They're quite dry though cos we cut them in jan.

I can post you a few if you want :wave: Let me know. They're quite dry though cos we cut them in jan.

that is such a kind offer thank you! Erm is there any way you could post a small amount in something letter box sized? I'll be at work you see, and the post sorting office is on a main road so cant walk there if I miss it. I will of course pay any costs involved!!

Back