• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Splitting a bonded pair?

Charliesangel

Warren Veteran
It it ever advised to split a bonded pair, when they've been living together for over a year?

Oliver and Oscar have a very, very strange (maybe unhealthy, even) bond.

Oliver is in love with Oscar (Well, he's in love with everyone and everything that he can cuddle up to, bless him). Oliver constantly dotes on Oscar, snuggles up to him, lets him eat first, lets him drink first. He's VERY submissive.
On the other hand, Oscar couldn't care less about Oliver. He rarely (if ever) grooms him. They snugggle, but most of the time, it's because Oliver has run up to Oscar and sort of glued himself to his side. I've never seen Oscar initiate a snuggle. He's not very loving, or kind to Oliver at all.

The reason why I bring this up, is because lately, they've been fighting like MAD. Like full on, lock, fights. I was at work all day yesterday, and my mum rang me three times letting me know that she had just separated another fight. This has been happening for a few weeks now (not as frequent, but it's progressively getting worse).

The only 'trigger' I can think of, is that they have access to my other rabbit, Threarah, through the bars of her pen. I've set them up so that they can see eachother, sniff eachother, but can't access eachother completely. I was hoping to eventually bond all three. They've been living in this arrangement for months now, and there's never been any problem.

I really don't want to split them up, but I don't want anybun to get hurt :( Oliver is an old wee guy (will be 8 soon) and he doesn't deserve this at his age. He's been single his entire life until a year ago. He loves having the companionship, but really, I think it's just hurting him.

I just don't know what to do :?

It is advised to split up a pair only if it is in the best interests of the rabbits in the pair.

It sounds though that by allowing them access to the girl, and it being unneutral territory you have triggered referred aggression between them. This is basically where they are aggressive towards the other bunny but they can't reach her so fight between themselves.

You need to stop them being able to see her, hear her and even smell her unless (or until) you are planning to bond them and then go about the bonding in the proper way.

I would never recommend splitting an established pair unless there are problems which are not solvable, if they are fighting you need to try and resolve the issue about what this is happening.

You describe your rabbits as not being particuarly snuggly, however it is important to remember that not all bonds are constantly grooming and snuggling together.

My first start would be to ensure all 3 rabbits are neutered, if they are not get this done.

It sounds from your desciption that they are fighting as a result of the close proximity of having your other rabbit within easy access, personally I would not recommend putting a pair of rabbits next to other rabbits as referred agression is a complication of doing this.

If I was you I would separate the pair of rabbits away from the single bun, ensuring that they are out of sight / smell of each other and then when you have adequate time bond them all on neutral territory.

Back