• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Ringing a rabbit

jojo1974

Young Bun
Hi we have just purchased two mini buck lops, one self black and the other a black butterfly, I have all the breading information but they have not been rung so unable to show them, we only want to show locally as I thought it would be something nice for my daughter to get involved in. Is there a way of getting them rung myself or is it something that should have been done before we purchased them?

Do you know the full genetic history of these buns back x number of generations?

I'm afraid you won't get as much help here regarding this, as breeding buns is not something the forum is appreciative of, as there are already over 35,000 rabbits in rescues.

I emplore you to reconsider your idea.

Sorry cant help, can only suggest that instead of showing your buns, you could take pics of them and send them into competitions? Your daughter would enjoy that im sure. :)

Do you know the full genetic history of these buns back x number of generations?

I'm afraid you won't get as much help here regarding this, as breeding buns is not something the forum is appreciative of, as there are already over 35,000 rabbits in rescues.

I emplore you to reconsider your idea.

:wave: This isn't about breeding :)

As for ringing for shows I would guess this is something the breeder should have done. Funny because I've got a thread about getting a ring removed :lol:

Showing can be very stressfull for rabbits. They are not very good travellers, and on show days are kept in wire cages in rows and stacked, that are only about 1' square.

I like the idea of photo competitions... your daughter will have hours of fun trying to get photos of her bunnies. And just sitting talking to and stroking them and enjoying them for their personalities.

I've just taken on a rabbit who is an ex breeding and show rabbit, and he is just a shadow of a rabbit, theres just no personality there at the moment because he doesn't know how to be a rabbit. Please don't turn your rabbits into this :wave:

As already mentioned showing can be very stressful for the rabbits, I can imagine I'd hate to be carted around and stuck in a tiny space all day with nothing to do and in some cases I've seen little food/water. And if it's in summer getting overheated with lots of noisy people crowding round me and prodding and poking me. I think it would be much better for your daughter and the rabbits to just keep them as pets, I don't know how old your daughter is but I'm 15 and I enjoy looking after my two rabbits and playing with them, if you give time for the rabbits to trust you you can then learn their individual personalities. :)

The breeder has to do it, and they can't be rung once they reach a certain age as the ankle joint will be too big

This is a rescue forum, not the best place to get breeding/showing advice, but if you're set on it there are forums specifically for breeders and exhibitors

If your rabbits are happy travelling and being handled by strangers and fine with noise and new places you could always put them in the pet section, they don't need to be rung for that and it's judged on how clean, healthy and friendly they are

what is ringing?

Where you slide a light metal ring over a young rabbits leg. You buy the rings from the BRC, there are different sizes for different breeds and they all have numbers on registered to the breeder/owner. Unless the rabbit is overweight or has something stuck under the ring they don't cause a problem. I can get a picture of a ring if you like?

Where you slide a light metal ring over a young rabbits leg. You buy the rings from the BRC, there are different sizes for different breeds and they all have numbers on registered to the breeder/owner. Unless the rabbit is overweight or has something stuck under the ring they don't cause a problem. I can get a picture of a ring if you like?

no thats ok thank you for explaining though

as long as it not cruel or hurts them >_<

:wave: This isn't about breeding :)

As for ringing for shows I would guess this is something the breeder should have done. Funny because I've got a thread about getting a ring removed :lol:

Showing can be very stressfull for rabbits. They are not very good travellers, and on show days are kept in wire cages in rows and stacked, that are only about 1' square.

I like the idea of photo competitions... your daughter will have hours of fun trying to get photos of her bunnies. And just sitting talking to and stroking them and enjoying them for their personalities.

I've just taken on a rabbit who is an ex breeding and show rabbit, and he is just a shadow of a rabbit, theres just no personality there at the moment because he doesn't know how to be a rabbit. Please don't turn your rabbits into this :wave:

We have decided not to get them rung as it would mean we could not keep them together as they are both buck's and they couldn't be nurtured if being shown, also we could still do local pet shows which is much kinder as they are in a pet section and not show animals.

Where are there pic comps that she could enter as she loves spending loads of times with them, we have just ordered some mesh cubes for me to make a large play area to extend their cage by about another 12ft sqr.

These rabbits ave very spoilt already with loads of toys and treats on their way for them, they bounce around like idiots when playing so they are very happy, one loves being picked up and the other is a ****** to catch to go back in the cage.

We just wanted to show them off and hopefully win some rosettes for them.

We have decided not to get them rung as it would mean we could not keep them together as they are both buck's and they couldn't be nurtured if being shown, also we could still do local pet shows which is much kinder as they are in a pet section and not show animals.

Where are there pic comps that she could enter as she loves spending loads of times with them, we have just ordered some mesh cubes for me to make a large play area to extend their cage by about another 12ft sqr.

These rabbits ave very spoilt already with loads of toys and treats on their way for them, they bounce around like idiots when playing so they are very happy, one loves being picked up and the other is a ****** to catch to go back in the cage.

If you're going to show then gradually get them used to car journeys first, and other things like noise and handling by strangers. I play the radio outside a lot of the time so mine are very used to noise. And you might want to start off with a club show, not an argicultral ones, club ones aren't as interesting but they're quieter

I'm glad you've decided not to show them and get them neutered instead. :) Un-neutered bucks can cause a lot of damage to each other. :(

I think you're definitely making the right decision getting them neutered and keeping them together. They will be so much happier and so much more relaxed. Better pets. And probably more likely to win pet shows with better behaviour. :)

A lot of magazines and websites run best pet competitions. The RSPCA did one a while back too. Hopefully someone who knows about these things will come along soon. :)

You know you can teach rabbits tricks too, if she likes spending time with them. ;) My sister's rabbits will spin around for treats and stand up and walk on two legs for them. Some rabbits also like jumping and a few people on the forum have taught them to jump hurdles.

One loves jumping over things and my daughter loves putting things around for him to jump, my local club wants me to ring the rabbits to show them there so will just have to look around for shows that are local with pet sections, they both came home in the car and didn't seam to mind it at all, my cat on the other hand goes mad if you take him in the car, so I don't see that upsetting them, I wouldn't want to upset them as they are so loving, just don't like being picked up at the end of playtime. Really can't wait for the C&C sections I have ordered to arrive so they will have much more room all day long.

One loves jumping over things and my daughter loves putting things around for him to jump, my local club wants me to ring the rabbits to show them there so will just have to look around for shows that are local with pet sections, they both came home in the car and didn't seam to mind it at all, my cat on the other hand goes mad if you take him in the car, so I don't see that upsetting them, I wouldn't want to upset them as they are so loving, just don't like being picked up at the end of playtime. Really can't wait for the C&C sections I have ordered to arrive so they will have much more room all day long.

www.rjuk.moonfruit.com ;)

Most clubs do pet sections, have you asked if they do?

Some rabbits absolutely hate car journeys, some don't mind, Baby either flops out in her carrier or rattles the sides until I get her out, then she'll happily sit on my knee. Even if you're not going to show I think it's better to gradually get them used to cars and other stresses, because it's likely one day they'll have to face something stressful and it's better to be prepared :)

I'm so glad you've just decided to enter them into pet shows and get them neutered:D

You've definitely made a good decision!:thumb:

I'm so glad you've just decided to enter them into pet shows and get them neutered:D

You've definitely made a good decision!:thumb:

This. :) You could also try out rabbit jumping, it sounds like you have a bun that'll love it! :love: Only ever go to shows if your rabbit is ok with travelling. My rabbit used to go in the pet shows but doesn't like his mouth being looked at so doesn't do that any more. He does jumping displays though which he enjoys. He's so funny when it comes to travelling, he loves it of climbs in the carrier himself. :shock: Ask lynne at holiday hutches :lol: When she came to collect my rabbits for their holiday, i opened the carrier door and him and my other bunny just hopped in! :love: So only go if you have a chilled out bun who wouldn't get stressed by it. :)

Back