• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Removing a breeder ring?

My new bunny Dino has one on his leg, it moves but I can't get my little finger between it and his leg, not even just the tip of my finger.

I'd prefer to have it removed. Is it something I can do myself, or will my vets do it when hes castrated?

It looks like its alluminium or some other light metal.

You shouldn't be able to get a finger under it, if you could then rabbits would be loosing their rings all the time. Will the rabbit let you straighten its leg? Some rings will just slide off, especially if the rabbit is small or skinny for its breed, but the leg needs to be straight, I've heard of people using KY Jelly too

Tin snips, strong wire cutters and ring cutters can cut them off, I'd check with the vet first though that they have something strong enough. They don't have to be under GA to have it done, although it'd be much easier

Last edited:
One of my old rabbits was rung, and I had it removed when she went to the vets.
Doesn't need to be under GA, just held firmly with leg available for snips to cut through the metal without catching the leg.
The rings don't usually cause any bother if the rabbit stays at optimal weight. Does mean you have a rabbit from a pedigree breeding line, so could be shown if interested, though requires BRC membership.
I've kept the ring from Fudge so I always had a reminder of her...

One of my old rabbits was rung, and I had it removed when she went to the vets.
Doesn't need to be under GA, just held firmly with leg available for snips to cut through the metal without catching the leg.
The rings don't usually cause any bother if the rabbit stays at optimal weight. Does mean you have a rabbit from a pedigree breeding line, so could be shown if interested, though requires BRC membership.
I've kept the ring from Fudge so I always had a reminder of her...

I'll be keeping my rabbits rings too, they fit perfectly on my finger so I'd like them made into proper rings as a memorial kind of thing. Of course if a rabbit had been rescued from a bad place I can understand people wanting rid of the rings straight away

Back