• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

So I have a new bunny...! We have progress!!

His name is Dino and he's 16 months old.

Plan is to bond him with Summer as she is now on her own. Think he needs a bit of rehab first tho!

Was just randomly looking through adverts on the net when I kept getting drawn back to one on preloved, it was a really basic 2 line ad, that was over a month old, so I sent an email thinking he'd been rehomed, well he hadn't so I went to see him and brought him back the same night.

Turns out I visited a breeder. It was pouring with rain when I'd got there so she had brought him into the house... so I never saw his previous accomodation, just a very large shed from a window. She said he loved running round, but she had a very nice garden, too nice and I didn't notice any runs anywhere, but I could only see out of one window. He was up for rehoming because he'd fathered his litters, and was marked down at shows because of a tiny nick in one of his ears :( He came with muesli which I'm going to start changing him from, the only veg he has had is cabbage, so will be introducing different veg in time. I also mentioned that I feed lots of stuff that I gather from my field hawthorn, bramble, plantain etc and she said probably not a good idea to give it to bunnies?! He has a ring on his leg which I suppose the vets can remove when he's neutered, and he's not and never has been vaccinated. He also had a slight runny eye which she said was due to moulting? I'm not sure but it seems ok now.

Anyway... I've had him about 10 days, and he just doesn't seem to be settling. He's in a hutch at the mo with a run built on the front, but I've not seen him come out into the run yet at all on his own. I've let him out for a bit of free range time, but after about 10 minutes he goes back and lays down in the hutch. Thats pretty much all he's done so far. But he's eating, drinking, peeing and pooping normally. He only really comes to life when I feed him. Bit of a blank canvas at the moment. Also has a very square shaped back end from muscle wastage I would assume.

Just wondering if theres anything else I can do to help him settle other than be patient and give him lots of time? :wave:

Last edited:
has he got any toys...toilet rolls stuffed with hay a cardboard box? he may just need to learn to be a bunny and u may have to stimulate him to do that if hes been a breeder thats probably all he knows...good luck with him hun :wave:

Last edited:
Poor thing, if he hasn't got much muscle he's probably not used to exercising a lot and maybe can't yet. I'd just keep doing what you're doing, give him time and love. :)

Thanks, yeah he has some toys but has ignored them all so far, looked at a slice of carrot like it was an alien! He does enjoy throwing his bowl out into the run to tell me he's finished tho!

Possibly should have mentioned he's a Frenchie!

ive got frenchies too.....he may just need time and as someone else said if his muscles wasted he needs to learn to use them......:wave:

If he's from the place I'm thinking of, it doesn't surprise me that he's not in great shape:(

Hope he settles in soon and bonds well with summer!

As you have now let it slip that he's a Frenchie I NEEEEEEED pictures. :p

Is he very shy because going up stairs is good exercise to build up muscles. It might be too hard for him though. :(

bless him:) sounds like you're moving in the right direction - patience and company should help him enormously.

has he had a vet check yet about his muscle wastage? xx

bless him:) sounds like you're moving in the right direction - patience and company should help him enormously.

has he had a vet check yet about his muscle wastage? xx

Thank you. No not yet, I've just been keeping him quiet and to his normal routine for a week or two, then getting a full check out before having him castrated, as have to do vaccinations and everything.

Back