• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Vet said no need for VHD jabs.....

willowholly

Mama Doe
She said they only need annual myxy & cut out VHD jabs altogether-whats you view on this?They have always had 3 jabs per year,in fact they used to have VHD bi yearly too.And she said their is only cyclap-isnt lapinject different?

I'd change vets :shock:

Cylap is the original VHD vaccination and the one with so many side effects.

Lapinject and the new Anivac vaccinations for VHD are so much better and have no side effects.

Did yuo ask why he said not to vaccinate?

I find it disgusting that a vet would recommend that, on a healthy rabbit anyway.

id defo change vets, vhd is recommended yearly and their are other forms of the vaccine other then cylap, being lapinject and that newer anivac

I'd change vets too. Although I assume you were speaking to an actual vet and not someone on reception - no offence to vet receptionists, but they can sometimes get things wrong. If it was a vet then yeah definitly change vets.

Cylap depends very much on your experiences. In 10 years I've only ever had 1 bun with a mild reaction to it, but you should be able to ask your vets to order in some Lapinject just for you if they normally only stock Cylap.

My vet has just gone to America for a year & she recommended this vet.I think she was trying to cut costs for me as I said I didnt want to have Cas castrated next month as B & Dills myxy was due what I meant was I would have him castrated the month after NOT cut out their jabs.When I explained B had a forepaw weakness,possibly due to cyclap she said that was only one on market & didn't believe me when I said about lapinject.She said B possibly had a reaction as needle may have hit a nerve!Also she didn't check his teeth,ears,eyes,heart,body,claws.:?She only weighed him cos I asked & I got her to check if his plums were visable now.Didn't like the vet Cas saw for his myxy but at least she checked him without asking.Hate it when you have to hunt around for a new vet but hunt I think I will.May email my old vet & see what she says.

Last edited:
I'd change vets too. Although I assume you were speaking to an actual vet and not someone on reception - no offence to vet receptionists, but they can sometimes get things wrong. If it was a vet then yeah definitly change vets.

Cylap depends very much on your experiences. In 10 years I've only ever had 1 bun with a mild reaction to it, but you should be able to ask your vets to order in some Lapinject just for you if they normally only stock Cylap.

yes i once booked mabel in for her myxi for vet nurse on phone to say she's to young for injections its not till 10 weeks, i had to say no thats for vhd not myxi :lol:

They should all have VHD every year.My vet has just changed to Anivac, and prior to that used Lapinject.
My vet's in Ruskington and is amazing, but that's too far for you isn't it?

They should all have VHD every year.My vet has just changed to Anivac, and prior to that used Lapinject.
My vet's in Ruskington and is amazing, but that's too far for you isn't it?
Yes it is really.B had lapinject at Kirks at Londonthorpe but we moved from there when got Dill as it was expensive & her vet left.Dont mind that Cas has had cyclap but do mind the lack of checks & bad advice.If cant find one am happy with may have to go back to Kirks.They were always good there.I need to trust my vet especially with a castration coming up & B's regular cystitis.Touch wood Dill is healthy at mo.:)

I would also try and change vets, VHD vaccines are very important and vets should know this.

When the VHD epidemic became widely known about in wild rabbits my vet wrote to all rabbit owners strongly recommending they have their rabbits vaccinated. The only VHD vaccine any of mine have had is anivac.

The reason some vets give for not vaccinating against VHD is that they never see it in surgeries. However, the reason they don't see it is because it is fatal so quickly that the rabbits appear to just die in their sleep and not taken to the vet.

I would change vets too. Not sure whereabouts in Lincolnshire you are, but my vets are in Kirton and they are fab.

Bit shocked that they've never even heard of Lapinject :shock: Don't all vets have to keep up to date with new drugs on the market?

i too would be inclined to change vets as just lately, we're hearing about more and more vhd cases on here:(

Back