• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Think I'm going to lose Xena- she's gone.

halfpenny

Wise Old Thumper
Xena has taken a small amount of baby food thus evening but us now refusing it. I've given her about 30 mls of subcut fluids and she is warm with Runt beside her, but I think she has gone downhill.
No real point in calling the vets because she has had her full quota of meds, and I would much rather she was home where she can be checked regularly through the night. Can't help wondering if I would have seen something sooner if it hadn't been for the open day, I remember thinking last weekend she really needed to go on a diet, it's scary how quickly she has lost weight and only over the last few days has she gone off her food!:cry:

Last edited:
It would have happened regardless of the open day, and like you said there is no need to go to the vets.

Sending lots of vibes for her.

Xena is still alive but very weak. I'm going to talk to the vet to see if there are any other options but not taking her in if they can do no more, if that is the case I'll get them come out to the house to see her and if needed PTS.
I feel terrible, it was my fault, I never noticed a problem with her eating until Thursday.

Spoken to vet, Xena going on for x-rays because the vet thinks something else is going on. She should not have gone downhill so quickly and been so poorly after a dental!

Sorry Louise didn't see this before posting in general chat. keeping my fingers crossed for you both and don't blame yourself, I know we all do but sometimes things happen that we can't control. :(

Xena is in renal failure and now also stasis!:cry:

We are not sure if she had problems before the op- she lives with Runt so I cannot be certain of how much she drank or peed but together they were no different to the others. It may have been that the anaesthetic has pushed her kidneys over the edge, but we just do not know.

We have 2 options- pump her full of fluids to rehydrate her and meds to get her guts going, then check her bloods in 24 hrs to see if they have improved OR PTS. Obviously she may not respond to the treatment and we will lose her anyway.
I've told the vets to go for it and give meds and fluids, all we can do now is keep our fingers crossed, I hope the fact that she is still with us after I expected her to die overnight means she is fighting to live.

Poor Xena :( Hope all the treatment helps her feel a bit better. You're doing absolutely everything you can for her x

You're giving her a fighting chance, which I feel most of us would do too. Just keep hoping she has the strength and will to get through this. :love:

Back