• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Does anybody have their rabbits Micro-chipped?

mattyp

Warren Veteran
Maisie has a microchip but Marvin doesn't I'm not sure if I should get him one as well.

Anybody else have their rabbits microchipped? Or would anybody else really recommend for or against it?

No but I'm considering it. There have been a few threads debating this in the past, I think one of the issues discussed was whether vets or whoever would check stray rabbits for microchips :?

I'm off to the vets tomorrow, will have to remember to ask about it :D

Nope but 5 of my 7 have rings on, I think a general member of the public is much more likely to see the ring and find out what the number means than go to a vets and scan for a microchip

I don't because mine are indoors and very rarely go outside.
If I had outdoor bunnies or they went outside more than 2 or 3 times a year, I'd get them chipped

Yes. Although it's a long shot that they would ever be useful if they were stolen/escaped/missing I would want to know that I had done everything possible.

Fudge and Evie as they are RSPCA buns so done as standard. The others arent but I am considering it

Might be worth asking your local rescue if they offer a chipping service my vets wanted £20 whereas rspca wanted £10!

Yep Kitten is chipped i got her done cost £17 but i got it done while she was under for her spay so she knew nothing about it x

A couple of times I've ummed and aahed about getting them done. Thing is there is always a gate or a door between them and the outside world when indoors and there is always someone around if they go outside and they only ever go in and out in their carrier.

Its basically injected with a large needle.
I would get mine done if they were outdoor buns, but as mine are 100% indoor bunnies I haven't at the moment

I get the rescues done and the rings you mention are only linked to the breeder not the person who owns it unless registered with the brc so they are a waste of time

I get the rescues done and the rings you mention are only linked to the breeder not the person who owns it unless registered with the brc so they are a waste of time

They are registered to my name, besides rings can easily be transfered into a new owners name

Any good breeder should keep records, if they were contacted and told someone had found a rabbit with such number, they should be able to say 'yes this rabbit was rehomed to ...'. If the breeder didn't keep records (and my rabbits rings were registered with them) I'd ring them up anyway and let them know the rabbits gone missing :)

There is a microchip co now cant remember which that allows both the rescue and the new owner to be registered

Back