• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do anybody elses rabbits refuse to groom each other?

Janey

Warren Veteran
Just reading the thread on 'the cutest thing your rabbits do' and have noticed taht a few people have put grooming each other.

Are mine the only rabbits who barely do this???

I know why it is, they are both too selfish. Peter will occasionally give Poppy a 10 second groom, and he does her eyes where her tear ducts are blocked and therefore eyes weep, however, she will NEVER groom him, even if he puts her head down to her, so I really don't blame him for not giving her long.

Is anbody else's bunnys like this, i'm just intersted really. I'm guessing it's really down to a fairly equal dominance rather than much else?!

Holly never grooms Alvin and ive only ever seen him do it when hes excited about food and he starts on the back of her neck while waiting for pellets.

Sometimes Beano or Gordon don't respond to the 'I want to be groomed' head shoving if they feel they are busy doing something else lik eating :roll:

They might do it when you're not around. I find my presence makes them act a bit differently, possibly because they see me as a threat to their dominance they don't want to show weakness around me. They are also less keen on grooming each other during active times and do it a lot more at night.

It took Candyfloss 3 years (2 with her current husbun) before she groomed any bun other than herself. He groomed her fairly often, but not like some of the bunnies I have.

My lops hardly groomed during bonding and afterwards Autumn groomed, but the others didn't.

I never see Sandy and Roger groom if they know I'm there. Sometimes a sneaky peek through the window will let me see them grooming. :love:

I do think it depends on the bunnies. If they are happy with how things are, then it's not a problem :)

My two buns rarely groom each other, just the occasional lick. They were easy to bond, never fight, never hump, but spend most of their time sitting separately. Weird! I watch them in their run for long periods, and they don't show any interest in grooming. I'd love them to snuggle up, but as long as they are happy sharing the hutch and run, I should be happy I guess. :love:

They don't do it often :lol: I've seen them a few times stick their head under the others, and the other move away, or try stick their own head under, but they seem very happy together :)

Well im glad its not only mine.

I like to think perhaps they do it when im not around, i did see Petey giving a sneaky lick this morning when i wasnt looking :lol:

They were an easy bond & do lie together but just not a lot of grooming. Sometimes if Peter refuses to groom Poppy when she puts her head down she will hump him so i know its some kind of dominance thing. As long as they're happy its ok, its just always nice to see them being affectionate, i feel sorry for Peter never getting his turn. I definately know who wears 'the trousers' in their relationship!! :lol:

Ginger rarely grooms Biscuit, certainly not when we are around, we only catch her in the act :lol:

Biscuit grooms Ginger like there's no tomorrow though :love:

Back