• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

carrot patch question

claire**

Warren Scout
Hiya,

I bought a 'boredom breakers carrot play patch' the other day, and my little bun loves it. he has pulled the carrots out the holes and pulled up and eaten some of the straw base.

It looks really fun too. I have a question tho - One of the carrots ended up in his water bowl and I noticed a lot of colour leaked out from it into the water. I took out the wet carrot and gave him fresh water.

I have noticed tho that his paw (he has one white one) has become discoloured underneath - I know this is normal from urine etc, but the colour is more orangey/pink, the colour that leaks out of the carrots.

I am now wondering if I should leave it in for him to play with, or remove it, because I don't really want his fur becoming discoloured from the dye used in it (it also has a very deep green, and a brown colour) and it can't be good to ingest these chemicals. I assume they are bunny safe as it is a good brand and a quality product, but I wondered if u guys had similar experiences or what you would do.

Thanks v much

I think they use food colouring which would be fine, but would also run a lot. Hopefully someone else will know. :)

My Boys used to take great pleasure in throwing the carrots in the water bowl - I was always having to change the water until they got bored of that game :lol:

It won't hurt, but I'm not sure how quick the colour will come out of light fur. Luckily my boys are black, so I didn't have to worry about them getting stained :)

It won't hurt at all and your bunny should clean the colouring off themselves. Frankie does ^_^ :wave:

If you are worried though, I think Wilkinsons now does the replacement carrots which still discolours water but doesn't discolour your bunny :lol:

Back