• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Why is my sweet little bunny biting me?? :o(

ripminnie

Wise Old Thumper
I don't know what's wrong with her :(
I think either she's addicted to porridge oats :? Or she's smelt other bunnies on me or OH :?
A while ago I got some porridge oats to give her now and again to try and put some weight on her, as she was quite skinny. I only give her a little pinch every other day or so. But recently she's been going over to where they are kept and looking up at the cupboard, if I'm standing near it, then she either bites my feet or my knee if I'm kneeling down :( when she does this I don't give her any, to try and teach her that biting won't get her what she wants. I wait 5 minutes or so and give her some when she's being good.
This morning though I was kneeling in another part of the room brushing up, and she bit my knee, then a few mins later she did it again! She just seems really cross with me :(
I don't know if she can smell the other bunnies I've been looking at, but I wash my hands and even change my clothes before going to see my buns, although OH doesn't normally get changed.
What do you guys think??
:? :(

im not sure tbh. Is she spayed? im just asking because my bun isnt (just waiting for his plums to drop) and he has been nipping me lots recently which he didnt use to do but im putting it down to hormones.

I know that buns are clever animals but perhaps she doesnt realise that if she stops biting then she will get the treat that shes after? I know that if im sat with a banana then my bun will be digging and nipping me non stop until i have finished it :lol:

Do you need to still be feeding her oats?

She might just be trying to get your attention, or telling you she wants the oats. Has her biting only started recently?

She's telling you something and communicating with you. Biting doesn't mean she is cross or angry, just that she is telling you something and likely you're not hearing. So there isn't necessarily anything 'wrong' with her, she may well think 'what is wrong with her' (meaning you).

Figuring out what she is telling you is the next thing to do- which is obviously why you posted. You're doing all the right things with looking at what might be the triggers and when she is doing it.

It could be any of the things you have said, or that she has accidently learnt that biting gets your attention- happens to the best of us, even if we are making a concerted effort for that t not be the case.

I'd say keep watching and keep learning from her. If you are worried, then get a vet check because sometimes a change in behaviour can be medical, but I would think, from what you've said, it's likely behavioural.

If its any consollation, Ginger bites (not nips, BITES :shock:) my toes if i dont give her the medication she has within a certain time frame. It's almost like she KNOWS that she's meant to have it.

This has also only started recently, since she started feeling, in my opinion, better.

If its any consollation, Ginger bites (not nips, BITES :shock:) my toes if i dont give her the medication she has within a certain time frame. It's almost like she KNOWS that she's meant to have it.

This has also only started recently, since she started feeling, in my opinion, better.

I know the feeling...I'm starting to think Marvin is actually trying to eat me. Pretty sure a bite I have on my hand is going to scar :oops: :lol:

Frankie bites me to let me know he's bored of being in my lap and wants to get down. It's kinda funny because he jumps into my lap for the cuddles but prefers to be put down :roll:

im not sure tbh. Is she spayed? im just asking because my bun isnt (just waiting for his plums to drop) and he has been nipping me lots recently which he didnt use to do but im putting it down to hormones.

I know that buns are clever animals but perhaps she doesnt realise that if she stops biting then she will get the treat that shes after? I know that if im sat with a banana then my bun will be digging and nipping me non stop until i have finished it :lol:

Do you need to still be feeding her oats?

Yes she's spayed :wave: and I don't NEED to feed her the oats, but sometimes she feels like she's lost a bit of weight so I give her some. But both buns really love them!!

If she is doing it to get some oats, how can I stop her? :? I think this is most likely at the moment...

She's telling you something and communicating with you. Biting doesn't mean she is cross or angry, just that she is telling you something and likely you're not hearing. So there isn't necessarily anything 'wrong' with her, she may well think 'what is wrong with her' (meaning you).

Figuring out what she is telling you is the next thing to do- which is obviously why you posted. You're doing all the right things with looking at what might be the triggers and when she is doing it.

It could be any of the things you have said, or that she has accidently learnt that biting gets your attention- happens to the best of us, even if we are making a concerted effort for that t not be the case.

I'd say keep watching and keep learning from her. If you are worried, then get a vet check because sometimes a change in behaviour can be medical, but I would think, from what you've said, it's likely behavioural.

Hmmm, interesting!! Maybe she's telling me she needs the oats!!! Maybe she's starving?? Although they both get the same food. Olly eats more hay though... :?

Some bunnies are just 'bitey', Beano bites me all the time, just as I'm knelt down she'll come and bite my knee, or if I'm stood up she'll bite my feet or leg. Every time I'm with her she bites actually, as Sky-O and others said I just see it as her way of communicating with me, Beano bites me if she wants attention or something whereas Gordon will head but me :lol:

If she is doing it to get some oats, how can I stop her? :? I think this is most likely at the moment...

I would completely rearrange your oats routine so that you don't have a routine as such and she doesn't know where they are, you do it in a different way, etc.

Well my OH has just been home for lunch and gave the buns a crunchie like he always does, and Honey was biting his feet!! I really need to figure this out asap, maybe it's not the oats after all :(

Back