• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Metacam - really that good?

Jay&Kirsty

Young Bun
Let me explain...

Thursday Gracie had her VHD booster. Late friday evening sat on the floor with the kids we noticed Gracie was holding up a front paw when hoping about, aside from this she was eating like a good'un and playing around with Chewy. First thing sat morning we rang the vets and took her straight down for a check. No broken bones, the vet hopes it is just a pull/strain and gives us 3 day's worth of pain relief. Gave her some that morning around 10am, and the rest of the day/night she was her normal self and seemed to be using her paw again or better at least.

Then sunday, seemed ok usual sunday for them just flopped out in their room upstairs not bothering to come down and see us. We went up around 8pm and on checking on them noticed she didnt seem herself, we took her on our bed and tried some herbs, apple, pellets - she wouldnt touch anything and seemed to be stretching alot and fidgeting. So of course we became a little worried, but she hadnt had her metacam that day due to an oversight (us both thinking the other had given her it) so we gave her a dose and left her on the bed with us and within the hour she got up, started sniffing around us, ate a very small bit of herbs and went back to her room with chewy and started hoppin around like a good'un!

Excuse the long explanation but our question remains...is metacam that good it perked her up so quickly? We were worried she was going into stasis we couldnt hear anything from her tummy they never turn their noses up at food.

She was in fine fettle this morning aswell :love:

Yup.

I guess she had the cylap VHD vaccination, a limp is a common side effect.

Metacam is awesome, pain relief in rabbits is MUCH mis-understood.

That sounds like a typical Cylap limp (I'm guessing she had the Cylap VHD vaccination?).

And yes, Metacam is pain relief and when it kicks in it can make the world of difference.

Metacam comes under the same umbrella of drugs as ibuprofen for humans, so yes, it provides rapid pain relief and is an anti-inflammatory as well. As with us taking ibuprofen, the effect is noticed very quickly. ;)

do you know I have no idea which VHD she had but I'll certainly be finding out today thanks for the heads up!

Kirsty mentioned the booster and I just thought surely not but I'll check that today and if so will ask if they can see from records what she had last time because she never had any problems in the past.

How can it give a limp as a side effect though it's weird

Just rang the vets and you were right it was Cylap!

Have requested it be changed next time round, i'll prompt them myself!

Any recomendations?

And thanks for the heads up people :wave:

Just rang the vets and you were right it was Cylap!

Have requested it be changed next time round, i'll prompt them myself!

Any recomendations?

And thanks for the heads up people :wave:

The only other options are Lapinject or Anivac (new).

Neither have known side effects that i'm aware of.

Some vets won't order them in however, lapinject i believe they have to buy 5 vials.

Back