• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Blackberry Leaves

rabswood

Wise Old Thumper
As the leaves have prickles do you need to leave them to dry out before feeding them to the buns or can they eat them fresh?

My neighbour has a blackberry bush in his garden but I don't want to hurt the buns tongues.

The thorns are fine left on - when they are dried thet thorns feel sharper, not softer.

Buns have no problems with the thorns, either fresh or dried - just take care of your hands when you are picking/dishing out the leaves :lol:

Mine eat fresh blackberry branches and leaves with no probs. They steal them when im cutting mine back!

It makes me shudder when I see Spenser chomping prickly things. I keep imagine them doing nasty things to his insides as he eats so quickly. :oops:

I cut down a load of brambles yesterday and sat and snipped off all the thorns with a pair of scissors :oops: Brambles are vicious things if you see what they did to my arms and hands whilst I was blackberrying. I know people feed them as they are but I cant bare the thought of them getting their mouths cuts!:oops:

i dont remove them, which is just as well, Ginger eats bucket loads, i'd spend my life pulling them off :lol:

So if you went to a blackberry spot you could cut down branch everything and they will be ok for bun??

Are the actual blackberrys ok for them too

I tend to just cut off the four or five leaves and give them that. They tend to leave the stems.

Back