• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Baby Wildie - perhaps myxi?

FarplaceRescue

Alpha Buck
We took a baby wildie in last night. It has had a cat attack. Cat held it by the head, and it has a bald patch on the top of its head, and down the neck. Approx 4 weeks old.
It is doing well in my incubator, and nomming huge amounts of grass and (safe) wild flowers. It is very alert, and bouncy. Ears up and washing itself.
i am worried about it's eyes. They are half shut and partially swollen.
I am getting it to the vet tomorrow, but I am 90% certain that the eye problems are related to the cat attack on the head. However, the 10% of me fears myxi.
no pics because my camera is dead, but how common is myxi in wild bunnies this age?
Most of my rabbits are fully vaccinated. 3 have only just had their VHD vacc, and not yet the myxi one, and 3 are too young for the vaccines. I am dealing with all other buns before I touch the baby wildie (who is flea-free), but i dont want to take a risk.
No apparent wounds on the bunny, just slightly crusty half-closed eyes. No snotty nose, no other signs to worry about.
Any ideas peoples??

Erm.. I'm not sure of the signs but I know that it's still rife. But then I have lived in at least one pretty myxi prone area and saw lots of wild rabbits, but never saw one with Myxi.

It doesn't have to be myxi, could be an injury from the cat attack or an eye infection.

I have seen quite a few wild bunnies with myxi a long time ago.
All the ones I have seen were certainly not bright or eating either.
They were all totally disorientated and did not move when approached even though they were wild bunnies.

When I found hoppla my vet wanted to pts her immediately as she misdiagnosed bunny syphilis as myxi.

Myxi moves very fast and especially young bunnies deteriorate very quickly. If it is still bright tomorrow morning, it is highly unlikely that it has myxi.

In any case I would always quarantine any new rabbit for at least 4wks, sterilize, my hands, change clothes and shoes after being in contact with the new rabbit.

Hope the baby continues to do well :wave:

I think you should quarentine the bun and act as though it HAS got myxi for disease control measures etc, but remain hopeful all the same :)

Yes it is quarantined, and I am treating it as if it has myxi. Vet tomorrow, but for the moment it is doing well in the incubator.

Baby wildie did not have myxi, but we still lost him. His eye probs were a result of the cat attack, and we were treating it with baytril. he died after a few days care here. He was warm, pain-free, full of food, and loved.

Baby wildie did not have myxi, but we still lost him. His eye probs were a result of the cat attack, and we were treating it with baytril. he died after a few days care here. He was warm, pain-free, full of food, and loved.

oh poor thing :( at least he had a chance though. Well done for trying, I hope youre not feeling too down :(

Back