• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Please, please help with bonding

CharlotteMc

Mama Doe
I began bonding maisey and harry yesterday. Harry bit maisey on her back with has now scabbed over ! She also jumping out the bonding pen and ripped off a 3 of her back claws right donw to the quick. I had to seperate them so I could sort the bleeding out. I will be trying again tommorrow but I need to some help so the same doesent happen again.
How can I calm maisey down and stop her jumping? could but a cover of the pen but that doesnt help her calm down .
How can I stop the little scraps ?

thanks in advance !

sure:)
the pen was 4X4
I scubbed down the area with vinegar and water solution
I had a sweeping brush to split up the fights

but just been speaking to my my mum and she said i can bond them in the kitchen after she has bleached the floor.

If you do it in the kitchen they may need to stay in there for a few days - is your mum ok with that.

Could they see or smell any other buns when you were bonding?

If you do it in the kitchen they may need to stay in there for a few days - is your mum ok with that.

Could they see or smell any other buns when you were bonding?

mmm i supose i could, i can bring my sleeping bag down :lol:

And yes penny and russell where watching the bonding from there run.

mmm i supose i could, i can bring my sleeping bag down :lol:

And yes penny and russell where watching the bonding from there run.

That wouldnt have helped. Once you start you need to be able to keep them in there small pen for a few days and only increase space gradually. Have a read through the sticky thread in the bonding area there is loads of useful info

What I do is get one of the buns, hold them and cover their head with my hand, that way the other can get a good sniff without being worried about getting nipped, then swap around

Maybe try some distractions, bond before they're due a feed, scatter some food and hay around

What i did when bonding mischief and jasper was put them next to each other and kept repeatedly stroking their heads to relax them and make them comfortable in each other's company. Obviously this was done in a small neutral space. I think the pen you have needs to be slightly smaller too. Hope maisey calms down soon and her back and claws heal ok. :(

Back