• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Foam Matting for Sore Hock Bunny

LionheadLuver

Warren Veteran
Hey

I'm trying to find foam matting for my sore hock bunny, Molly. At the moment, they have thick hay in their run, however the vet suggested trying foam matting in their run.

I've found a few different foam tiles. I'm not sure if they'll do any good.

1. Classic Foam Matting - http://www.softfloorkids.co.uk/softmat.shtml
I'm not sure if its soft enough. The whole point of flooring for sore hock bunnies is for it to cushion the hock and allow the claws to sink in. This looks hard as concrete and I'm not sure it would work. What are other's opinion on this?

2. Tumble Mats - http://www.softfloorkids.co.uk/safety.shtml
Again, don't look soft enough.

At the bottom of the above page, there's crash mats. If I could afford it, I'd buy those today as that'll probably do the job. :(

3. Astro Tile - http://www.softfloor.co.uk/astro.shtml
This looks great, but again so expensive. I'm not sure if the plastic grass would irritate her skin, but it would allow her claws to sink in.

I'm in a bit of a muddle. I don't want to buy expensive tiles when I'm not sure if it'll work. Do you think thick hay is good enough right now?

How thick were they? Did they have any "give"?

Couple of cm I think. They definatly were a good base, even if you stood on them you could feel them go down under your feet. They got softer the longer he had them too as the top protective part was worn down.

He did eventually try and eat them though, so they were removed.

The downside to those is the way they interlock together, with the puzzle pieces. Peanut used those and he was fine with them and they really did help him, however Domino just chewed them up.

I bought a rubber mat which was 6 x 4, the size of their shed off ebay. Its not as soft, its not really spongey at all, its just a rubber mat and I was a bit disappointed when I saw how hard it was but actually it still helped, and now his feet are fine again.

All of those tiles I would say are fine for helping sore hocks, its just a gamble on whether or not they will nibble them. x

The downside to those is the way they interlock together, with the puzzle pieces. Peanut used those and he was fine with them and they really did help him, however Domino just chewed them up.

I bought a rubber mat which was 6 x 4, the size of their shed off ebay. Its not as soft, its not really spongey at all, its just a rubber mat and I was a bit disappointed when I saw how hard it was but actually it still helped, and now his feet are fine again.

All of those tiles I would say are fine for helping sore hocks, its just a gamble on whether or not they will nibble them. x

thank you. its great to know that it's helped domino. :)

I have the interlocking ones. I tipped them upside down and taped them together with black electrical tape. I then covered them with a thin sheet (newspaper near the litter tray) to help stop chewing and so far it has worked

I have these, they are 2ftx2ft and only £2 each with free postage so you could always buy a couple and try them? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KIDS-PLAY...tness_Accessories_ET&var=&hash=item68c7344a44

My buns dont have sore hocks though, so I dont know if it helps with that. They interlock really smoothly so there are no bits sticking out to encourage chewing. One has been dug a bit but once it gets tatty its only £2 to replace that tile.

I got the link from soemone who posteed it on here who used them for her bun, I think they had mild sore hocks? Not sure who though....

I have the interlocking ones. I tipped them upside down and taped them together with black electrical tape. I then covered them with a thin sheet (newspaper near the litter tray) to help stop chewing and so far it has worked

Mine are turned upside down too as they are softer. Costco do this type of foam matting in a roll if you don't want the interlocking ones. It is about £10 a roll I think and it would probably do a 6 x 4 (could be £20 :oops:) I am going to get some of this next time I go as if they spill water it goes inbetween the interlocking gaps.

i use old cardboard boxes on the floor of the run when noodle looks a bit sore... especially where they hope out of the hutch. They do eat it eventually but its good if you can get a constant supply.

I have these, they are 2ftx2ft and only £2 each with free postage so you could always buy a couple and try them? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KIDS-PLAY...tness_Accessories_ET&var=&hash=item68c7344a44

My buns dont have sore hocks though, so I dont know if it helps with that. They interlock really smoothly so there are no bits sticking out to encourage chewing. One has been dug a bit but once it gets tatty its only £2 to replace that tile.

I got the link from soemone who posteed it on here who used them for her bun, I think they had mild sore hocks? Not sure who though....

I got them for a foster bun who had a sore which got infected. I now have them in both hutches and on parts of concrete in their run. They are really hard wearing. To clean them I spray with disinfectant and wipe. If they get really mucky you can take them out, give them a scrub with a brush and hose them down.

The rabbits are always sitting or lying on them now. In their sleeping area they now have a mat then a blanket or towel to keep them cosy.
I just ordered another six for

Back