• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

help, lucy has fallen suddenly ill.

Jemma&Theo

Mama Doe
Today lucy has started sneezing frequently, she has white stuff coming out of her nose and one of her eyes has a slight white discharge bubbling out when she sneezes (but quickly wipes it away)....

Im imagining its snuffles, however she lives with twliglet and noodle who aresnt showing any symptoms....

Lucy is eating fine so I know she can wait for the vets tomorrow.....

Im hoping its not the roots of her teeth as she had her molar spurs done about a month ago.....

The question is...

do I seperate and break the bond.... or - as the girls groom each other all day Id imagine theres a chance they will already have been suceptible to it and seperating them will prove pointless.....

Please help, I have to go to work soon aswell.......... just what we dont need at the moment.......

Last edited:
I'd keep them together unless she is getting bullied (stress can cause snuffles to 'come out' if the rabbit is a carrier).

Make a vet appointment for Monday, and make sure you get antibiotics...I'm not a fan of the 'wait and see' approach when dealing with snuffles

Good luck, I'm sure she'll be fine :)

I'd keep them together unless she is getting bullied (stress can cause snuffles to 'come out' if the rabbit is a carrier).

Make a vet appointment for Monday, and make sure you get antibiotics...I'm not a fan of the 'wait and see' approach when dealing with snuffles

Good luck, I'm sure she'll be fine :)

thanks......... nothing new has been introduced to them apart from a food trial I have been doing.... I dont think that will be connected as food allergy shurely should affect the guts etc... none the less im going to stop feeding it just in case (the change to the diet was slowly integrated)

They are cleaned out every other day, the hutch is carpeted and lino and the only litter i use in the toilets is woodshavings and cat litter (a layer of both) which is what she has been used to all her life.....

The hay is the same.... I just cant think whats caused it.

I wouldn't jump the gun and presume it's going to be something really bad. Chances are it's just an infection that will clear up with treatment.

dill? the herb? how does that work? :wave:

Ye I swear by that herb it helps to boost the immune system & contains anti colic properties plus it's very palatable soft for buns, it certainly won't hurt, fingers crossed for a speedy recovery I hope it's not a bit of hay stuck or something ?:wave:

we went to the vets yesterday and she had stopped sneezing and her eyes were a little clearer, The vet put dye in her eyes and said she could see it coming down both nostrils so the tear ducts were clear.

Ive been given anti-biotics and anti-biotic eye drops... but now shes right as rain.....

I swear these vets think I have that munchausans (however you spell it)

maybe the sneezing dislodged a blockage thother day?

I havent heard her sneeze today either

Back