• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Those with 3 + rabbits?

Aly&Poppy<3

Wise Old Thumper
What are the costs?
Within the next 2 years I think (more than likely will be sooner) I'll be with 4 rabbits :shock: At the moment, Donny is to be neutered which will be around £60 and Poppy needs to be spayed (after her teeth are "done") which is around £80. We're thinking about keeping Poppy indoors permanently, and when she's better, getting a friend for her. Meanwhile, Donny (who was for Poppy) is alone.. So needs company and myself and my mom are trying to figure something out asap for after he is neutered :? I think it will be that I do have another rabbit :? I have plenty of money at the moment (enough for driving lessons, car insurance and the rabbits with left over, I'm a serial saver lol), but I'm always worrying about it lol :oops: :?

Is it any more expensive? Or just 2 rabbits + 1? :)

It depends on health.
Hay I get free from my mates farm.Food I buy a 10k bag and it lasts months and is cheaper by the gram to by a bigger bag.
Veg and stuff is a suck it and see thing.If I have the money, they get it.If I havent,I forage or they eat the garden!!
Toys as and when, but Im home alot so they have me!!

Its mainly food/hay costs and insurance bills that double. Litter trays, bowls, bottles etc and toys dont really double as they can share :). Accommodation needs to be big enough for both so that might be an additional cost depending on the setup. :)

I have 7 buns! go through 3 bags of hay(bigg bags) a month at £5:45 a bag!

Food im not sure I just buy it as and when,

veg, they get it as and when I have any! normally have some in, they get extra when its on offer etc,

thankfully *touchwood* ive only had 1 snuffles bunny, the rest are in tip top health!

I don't think you can say how much each extra bunny will cost really - It depends on a number of factors - health, age, spaying, vaccinations, etc.

For example, I had one bunny who was very cheap to keep - never ill and fine. As a result of this I went out and got two more -so he had friends. He then ended up with severe dental problems and one of the new bunnies eneded up having a dental at the same time as him. I ended up spending about £500 in 6 months on dentals alone.

We looked into insurance and found that it wasn't worth while for our dental buns beacuse they put so many exclusions on the policy. Therefore whatever the size of the bill, we just have to pay it whenever they pop up!! (Which is quite often)

About 7 weeks ago I got another new bunny :love:- after 5 weeks she didnt seem right. I took her to the vets and one week later along with a bill of nearly £1000 we took her home. :shock:

I love my bunnies but really didn't expect to pay as much as I do on them. They are more expensive than my dog and cats! ;)

Same, the food and hay doesn't really change much plus I've found ways to reduce it overall (foraging, bale, etc) but the vet's bills are the bit that increases.

It depends on health.
Hay I get free from my mates farm.Food I buy a 10k bag and it lasts months and is cheaper by the gram to by a bigger bag.
Veg and stuff is a suck it and see thing.If I have the money, they get it.If I havent,I forage or they eat the garden!!
Toys as and when, but Im home alot so they have me!!

This! I have 4 but one is a dental, we didn't know this before we took on the other 2 but if we did, we wouldn't have adopted them. I'm so glad mischief kept his dental problems secret though cos i'm so glad we have 4 buns!

I just put up with the cost but it is hard. The biggest cost for me is rabbit boarding when I go on holiday, £129 for 4 bonded for 2 weeks but 2 pairs is £170. :shock:

Then there's the extra money needed for vaccinations, a £20 vaccination means £120 a year extra! :shock: Wow it's stressful working out this :lol: Luckily it's only £12 a vaccination for me at my new vets. :) but still £72 extra. They obviously get through hay and food much quicker so you have to buy it more often. Unfortunatley it is much more for me.

Thanks :wave: We have this hutch; http://www.dobbies.com/Rabbitshack-Double-Hutch-with-Excercise-Run/pid-396954 which was Pops' temporary living space while I found something else as her hutch was badly damaged by the winter we had, it had her big run added on but at the moment it's unused in the garden. So I thought if we adopted then we could use that as a temp thing. Although when James has finished the hutch and run then new outdoor bunny could be in Dons temp set up :shock: Lots of temporary things in our garden :lol:

Donny is fine health wise considering he was so close to being a pet shop bun. (as in the garden center he was going to, they are big things they are kept in but they eat all the hay then spend the rest of the day eating pellets) But poor Poppy has the bad end of the stick with her teeth and overall it's so much easier keeping an eye on her indoors 'cause she can change so fast (pain, no pain) and we can give her the metacam but when she's outside it's harder to constantly check on her. So indoor it is lol :) For now she is a people bunny but hopefully once she is toothy stable she can be spayed and we can eventually get her a new husbunny :) So after Donny is neutered I'll look at adoption places.

Suppose I shouldn't worry so much about money.. I have a job, I can pay for it! :roll: I'm such a stress head! :lol:

Last edited:
I cant give much help on this front, although I found the costs rocketed when I temporarily found myself looking after 4 extra bunnies (I have 2 of my own). I didnt think it would, but with extra litter trays, and vets bills, it really added up. I went through 10kg of hay in 2 weeks, and 3 of them were babies!

What I did want to point out is that, if her health is up to it, getting her dental and her spay done at the same time will save a lot of money and save her from going under GA more than necessary. You've probably considered it, but if not just thought Id mention it :)

I cant give much help on this front, although I found the costs rocketed when I temporarily found myself looking after 4 extra bunnies (I have 2 of my own). I didnt think it would, but with extra litter trays, and vets bills, it really added up. I went through 10kg of hay in 2 weeks, and 3 of them were babies!

What I did want to point out is that, if her health is up to it, getting her dental and her spay done at the same time will save a lot of money and save her from going under GA more than necessary. You've probably considered it, but if not just thought Id mention it :)

I did think about it but I didn't know if you could. She has an appointment next week for another checkup/dental so I think I'll ring and book her spay too :) Thank you :D

I did think about it but I didn't know if you could. She has an appointment next week for another checkup/dental so I think I'll ring and book her spay too :) Thank you :D

I would ring and ask :) I know both my vets do, it costs between £40-80 for a dental and £60 for a neuter, but around £70-80 for both at the same time.

Back