PDA

View Full Version : Baytril help please

Pix
24-07-2011, 12:15 PM
Hi,

My girl bun had her spay about 11 days ago. That night she ate all the glue and had to go to be glued up again.

On Thursday night I noticed she had a swelling at the bottom of get scar. I had a google and looked on here and convinced myself it was nothing to worry about, but took her to vets on Friday just in case.

Her scar has become infected and she now has an abcess. The vet gave her a shot of baytril and gave us some to take away with us to give her twice a day starting last night.

I don't know how much I managed to get into her last night, but today I can't get any in. I've tried to syringe into mouth as instructed. I've tried to dose her favourite foods -all of which she has left. She's stressed. I'm scratched and bitten, and I honestly don't think any medicine has gone in!

What can I do? She needs to take her medicine!!

Please help. It's been 4 hours of trying and we're both at the end of our tethers!!!

yvette
24-07-2011, 12:18 PM
Have you tried the Bunny Burrito wrap??
Get a towel, and wrap bunny in it,firmly yet gently.
The bunny cant kick.You get to syringe the meds into the side of the mouth gently and she swallows at her own pace so no inhalation of meds.
:wave:

Pix
24-07-2011, 12:19 PM
No, not heard of that. Will google.

yvette
24-07-2011, 12:21 PM
Lots of us on here do it.
I havent got a picture myself but there are some on here somewhere.
You ever have fajitas?? Its just like that, with bunny and towel.
Do let us know how you get on.:D

Pix
24-07-2011, 12:24 PM
I'm giving us both half an hour to calm down and will try again then.

yvette
24-07-2011, 12:27 PM
ok.Hope it goes ok.xx

Pix
24-07-2011, 12:30 PM
P.s. Thank you very much.

Pix
24-07-2011, 01:33 PM
I looked up a video on you tube. It took 5 attempts. (She'd take a little bit and then wriggle free). But it's in.

Thank you. I am so grateful, you have no idea! Thank you so much!!!

yvette
24-07-2011, 02:02 PM
Gets better with practice!!!!:wave::D

Elena
24-07-2011, 02:55 PM
Have you tried mashing it into banana? Nutmeg ignores most foods with Baytril on but not banana.

Pix
24-07-2011, 03:14 PM
I've not. I can't stand banana and never have them in the house. I bought them one once to try and i waited till it was quite ripe and gave them an inch each. They didn't seem fussed at all. It was still in bowl the following morning, so I've not tried them on banana since.

Elena
24-07-2011, 03:15 PM
I can understand that, I can't stand coriander :oops: the other thing that sometimes works is syringing it into a bit of bread. Nutmeg doesn't accept this anymore though but Mischa will have it like that.

Pix
24-07-2011, 04:20 PM
Mine prefer toast to bread, and toast didn't work, so I doubt bread will either. I'll bear it in mind though, should the burrito fail me tonight/tomorrow/in future!!

Jenova
24-07-2011, 06:52 PM
I give it to mine on bread. But the trick is to give them a tiny bit of bread first with no medicine on it. ;)

Pix
24-07-2011, 11:09 PM
Yeah, I tried that with the toast - an unpolluted corner first. In fact, with the parsley she nibbled right the way up to the bit which was contaminated and then just dropped the rest.

Can I please ask another question about this.

Is there anything else you guys do. I'm really worried about hurting her. The burrito is already starting to fail - she keeps just burrowing her head in. I was worried that I was going to hurt her arms trying to tuck her head out (IYSWIM)

Okay, so tonight's 25 mins were better than this morning's 4 and a bit hours. But... how do I make this easier? She has an abcess, I'm probably going to be having to do this for quite some time.

I think she's petrified of me now. I'm only trying to help her. I honestly don't know what to do for the best. We've got the vets first thing in the morning. I'll see what she says then.

Elena
24-07-2011, 11:19 PM
What about baby food? You really need something you can mix it in with otherwise they will refuse it.

Pix
24-07-2011, 11:45 PM
I've not tried baby food. I don't have kids so it's not something I'm familiar with.

Are there any flavours/types you can recommend. I'll try anything at this stage!

Elena
25-07-2011, 12:02 AM
Tbh I'm not sure, it's not something I've tried personally but I have seen it mentioned. Steer clear of ones with things bunnies can't have obviously, and ones with additives. Do they do a plain carrot one? That would be ok.

whitehood
25-07-2011, 12:22 AM
Have you tried:

Mashing some banana on the tip of the syringe then when your bun opens her mouth then shove the baytril in. It worked for me.

And you could also try mashing banana on a spoon then adding baytril to it.
Hopefully your bun would lick it off.

Pebblesetc
25-07-2011, 12:25 AM
We mix Buckley's baytril with his pellets, the probiotic, and some finely chopped mint on a bed of other herbs so that any baytril that misses the pellets is saved by the herbs.

Elena
25-07-2011, 12:36 AM
Have you tried:

Mashing some banana on the tip of the syringe then when your bun opens her mouth then shove the baytril in. It worked for me.

And you could also try mashing banana on a spoon then adding baytril to it.
Hopefully your bun would lick it off.

OP has said she can't stand having bananas in the house :)

Pix
25-07-2011, 07:11 AM
I will buy a banana and give it another try. No, I can't stand them, but I know buns tend to love them. It's just I tried them in banana before and they left it, so I figured they didn't like it.

As for the pellets. I tried that. She left them. She really is very stubborn!

Jenova
25-07-2011, 11:45 AM
I will buy a banana and give it another try. No, I can't stand them, but I know buns tend to love them. It's just I tried them in banana before and they left it, so I figured they didn't like it.

As for the pellets. I tried that. She left them. She really is very stubborn!

You have one character of a bunny! :lol:

You could try porridge oats. That's another one my lot love. :)

If it all fails you can have the antibiotics given as injections. Some vets will tech you how to do it so you can do it at home.

Roseberry
25-07-2011, 11:47 AM
mix baytril with apple juice!

give her apple juice in the syringe first so she thinks of ot as treat then add a bit of baytril then add more and she hopefully wont notice - this is assuming she likes apple juice, some dont but mine do. if not you could try pineapple juice. maybe also could try dropping it onto sime actual apple, not tried this myself but mine go mad for apple so i dont expect they would notice the baytril!

Pix
01-08-2011, 08:43 PM
I tried what feels like everything. Raspberry purée, apple sauce, apple, raspberry, strawberry, pineapple juice.

In the end I managed to sneak it in rolled in a leaf of basil (well, split between several) but it went in. Anyway, it worked, abcess gone and she's binkying around in the run outside for the first time since her op 3 weeks ago!

Thank you all for your help and advice. Very much appreciated!!