• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Baytril help please

Pix

Warren Scout
Hi,

My girl bun had her spay about 11 days ago. That night she ate all the glue and had to go to be glued up again.

On Thursday night I noticed she had a swelling at the bottom of get scar. I had a google and looked on here and convinced myself it was nothing to worry about, but took her to vets on Friday just in case.

Her scar has become infected and she now has an abcess. The vet gave her a shot of baytril and gave us some to take away with us to give her twice a day starting last night.

I don't know how much I managed to get into her last night, but today I can't get any in. I've tried to syringe into mouth as instructed. I've tried to dose her favourite foods -all of which she has left. She's stressed. I'm scratched and bitten, and I honestly don't think any medicine has gone in!

What can I do? She needs to take her medicine!!

Please help. It's been 4 hours of trying and we're both at the end of our tethers!!!

Have you tried the Bunny Burrito wrap??
Get a towel, and wrap bunny in it,firmly yet gently.
The bunny cant kick.You get to syringe the meds into the side of the mouth gently and she swallows at her own pace so no inhalation of meds.
:wave:

Lots of us on here do it.
I havent got a picture myself but there are some on here somewhere.
You ever have fajitas?? Its just like that, with bunny and towel.
Do let us know how you get on.:D

I looked up a video on you tube. It took 5 attempts. (She'd take a little bit and then wriggle free). But it's in.

Thank you. I am so grateful, you have no idea! Thank you so much!!!

Have you tried mashing it into banana? Nutmeg ignores most foods with Baytril on but not banana.

I've not. I can't stand banana and never have them in the house. I bought them one once to try and i waited till it was quite ripe and gave them an inch each. They didn't seem fussed at all. It was still in bowl the following morning, so I've not tried them on banana since.

I can understand that, I can't stand coriander :oops: the other thing that sometimes works is syringing it into a bit of bread. Nutmeg doesn't accept this anymore though but Mischa will have it like that.

Mine prefer toast to bread, and toast didn't work, so I doubt bread will either. I'll bear it in mind though, should the burrito fail me tonight/tomorrow/in future!!

I give it to mine on bread. But the trick is to give them a tiny bit of bread first with no medicine on it. ;)

Yeah, I tried that with the toast - an unpolluted corner first. In fact, with the parsley she nibbled right the way up to the bit which was contaminated and then just dropped the rest.

Can I please ask another question about this.

Is there anything else you guys do. I'm really worried about hurting her. The burrito is already starting to fail - she keeps just burrowing her head in. I was worried that I was going to hurt her arms trying to tuck her head out (IYSWIM)

Okay, so tonight's 25 mins were better than this morning's 4 and a bit hours. But... how do I make this easier? She has an abcess, I'm probably going to be having to do this for quite some time.

I think she's petrified of me now. I'm only trying to help her. I honestly don't know what to do for the best. We've got the vets first thing in the morning. I'll see what she says then.

What about baby food? You really need something you can mix it in with otherwise they will refuse it.

I've not tried baby food. I don't have kids so it's not something I'm familiar with.

Are there any flavours/types you can recommend. I'll try anything at this stage!

Tbh I'm not sure, it's not something I've tried personally but I have seen it mentioned. Steer clear of ones with things bunnies can't have obviously, and ones with additives. Do they do a plain carrot one? That would be ok.

Have you tried:

Mashing some banana on the tip of the syringe then when your bun opens her mouth then shove the baytril in. It worked for me.

And you could also try mashing banana on a spoon then adding baytril to it.
Hopefully your bun would lick it off.

We mix Buckley's baytril with his pellets, the probiotic, and some finely chopped mint on a bed of other herbs so that any baytril that misses the pellets is saved by the herbs.

Back