• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Piggie help..

loobysarmy

Warren Scout
Hey folks.

I know this is the bun section but i'm needing a nudge in the right way in regards to piggies.

we've got 4 buns but now we have 2 new piggies called Jethro and Tony.

The advice i'm looking for is diet based as in quantities and how often.

Currently they get a handfull of veg between them in the morning and evening. The have unlimited hay and at nihgt time they get a small egg cup full of excell guinea pig nibbles.

I'm just looking to find out other peoples diets for there piggies so i can tweek what we give them to find the optimum balance. I dont want them going hungry on us now.

Thanks in advance for the info.

Thanks for all the help folks.

I know its a bun forum but i know plenty of bun folks have piggies.

All i was looking for was a nudge in the right direction.

Just goes to show that if you dont post as a "REGULAR" you dont get the same help or attention off anyone.

i think i'm a 'regular' poster and even i don't get any replies sometimes. so i'm sure it's nothing against you. :)

i have two piggies and i feed them unlimited hay of course, a side plate size of leafy greens between them twice a day, morning and evening, grass when it's nice outside, natural foods like apple sticks and leaves, dandelion leaves etc, and also some dried herbs aswell. and always fresh water of course. :)

i feed about an eggcup of pellets between them at night time aswell.

i try and feed 4-5 different leafy greens each day and mix up the variety day to day aswell so they are not having too much of the same thing.

i personally don't feed any sugary or fattening veggies, or any fruit on the vets advice. most people seem to feed them though as a treat or even daily. my two are adult piggies and this diet is what my vet recommended for them.

:wave:

Thank you biscandmatt1,

Your post is very much appreciated.

What leafy greens would you advise on?

When you say dried herbs is this preferable to normal non-dried herbs? Do you know where i could find a list off herbs and natural plants piggies can eat.

Also would you reccomend wagg or excel pellet wise?

punkypig gets hay & readygrass, in the morning he has a dish of green leafy salad, grass that i cut for him, beetroot leaves, parsley, corriander, peppers.. Iv just joined the guinea pig forumn as iv recentlygot 2 baby girls as well.. Have a look on there for a list of foods, its extensive. I feed Beaphar Care + pellets. good luck x

Hey :wave:

I've been here years and I'm a mod, even I don't get replies or very few replies sometimes! So don't take it personally.:)

What you feed them sounds fine, so long as they have unlimited hay they won't go hungry. I give mine fresh herbs, but dried are ok too. He also gets edible plants from my garden aswell. You can look at tweaking their diet if they lose or gain too much weight.

Thank you biscandmatt1,

Your post is very much appreciated.

What leafy greens would you advise on?

When you say dried herbs is this preferable to normal non-dried herbs? Do you know where i could find a list off herbs and natural plants piggies can eat.

Also would you reccomend wagg or excel pellet wise?

fresh herbs and dried herbs. fresh would count as leafy greens. :)

i'll list everything my two have!

hay
grass
fresh water of course ;)

leafy greens - 4-5 different variety a day (two from the 'high' range and two from the 'low' range - something to do with the calcium to phosphous rate!). i feed one high and one low food in the morning and the same again at night. if i feed three at one meal, i do one high and two low. i feed a side plate size between them both twice a day, although with leafy greens the vet said they can have more than that once they're used to them etc. aslong as you keep switching them around they should have a nice variety and in moderation aswell. :)

high

parsley
basil
savoy cabbage
tenderheart cabbage
spring greens
pak choi
curly kale
spinach
rocket
wild rocket

low

coriander
thyme
romaine lettuce
hearts of romaine lettuce
little gem lettuce
curly lettuce
trio leaf lettuce (lollo rosso, biondo, red oak leaf)
asda leafy rocket salad (rocket, virgil victoire, apollo, saigon)
asda tender leaf salad (baby coral lettuce, endive, chard)
watercress
red chard

i'm careful with anything gassy though, and feed that less than the others. :) it did take a while to introduce all those leafy greens though and slowly to make sure they were ok with each one etc etc...

ches and maisie also had trouble with their tummies with cauli leaves so they don't have those. i know people feed a handful of readigrass/dried grass aswell if they can't get fresh grass but ches and maisie also had problems with that aswell so i personally don't feed them any. depends on the piggies i guess. :)

they also have dried herbs, usually a small amount, just a sprinkling in the hay to forage for. they enjoy that. i get them from the hayexperts, galens garden and/or pampered piggies. :)

you can also feed more natural foods like dandelion leaves, apple sticks and leaves (the vet told me today though not so much of those) and other natural things every so often.

this is for two healthy adult piggies though but it may need tweaking for younger piggies, ill piggies, etc. :)

pellet wise, i feed oxbow cavy cuisine, about an eggcup full at night. today at the vets though i was told to get rid of the pellets altogether now that i have the rest of the diet right. so we will be doing that at some point i think. it's one of those things that some people are for and some against, the same as not including any 'usual' veggies like peppers, cucumber, etc. everyone does things differently and i've just gone with the vets advice for my two piggies who he knows and has examined and advised for their particular needs. :)

there is a list of safe piggy foods on the piggy forum i think. :)

Back