• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I feel bad for saying this....:(

Jodes

Mama Doe
I love digs.I really do.but he doesn't feel like 'my' bunny :( I've said this to mum and another friend. I see other people's buns on here all around their feet and taking treats from their hands which he does do sometimesbut constantly growls and lunges at me :( I feel awful for saying this but he's not what I would of liked him to be like....I sit on the floor with him and try to build the trust with him.
I've found out he doesn't like men.at all. A friends bf was trying to pick him up to get him one eve when I was late at work and he bit him and wouldn't let him touch him at all :( something bad has happened to him and I want to change that.I want to show him in not like that. My friends bun was grooming me and digs won't even come near me if I sit on the floor :(

how long have you had him? With time he will warm to you, it just might take a long time.

Have you considered getting him a friend? You could pick a rescue bun who you know likes people so that, not only would you have an affectionate bunny, but the new bun may show digs there's nothing to worry about and help him be more confident.

Aside from that, try and accept digs is just the way he is for now; when you stop wishing your bun was different, that's when you can really enjoy who he is :)

My Smudge is nothing like my lops, or the way you describe. It's just his personality. He does like me, he doesn't like my dad, my dad was quite hurt to begin with but now he realises it's just Smudge's way.

There are a few things you can do though. Is Digs neutered? Has he had a health check? Sometimes bunnies can be aggressive because they don't feel 100%. Do you hand feed pellets? That's a good way to get bunny used to a human presence.

how long have you had him? With time he will warm to you, it just might take a long time.

Have you considered getting him a friend? You could pick a rescue bun who you know likes people so that, not only would you have an affectionate bunny, but the new bun may show digs there's nothing to worry about and help him be more confident.

Aside from that, try and accept digs is just the way he is for now; when you stop wishing your bun was different, that's when you can really enjoy who he is :)

I got him in march from a friend who had not a lot of time for him,had allergy and he didn't like her or her partner.....

Mum said a friend would make him think like that too so I'm waiting on nelly from demons soul on here - a surprise pregnancy in rescue so I'm hoping in the next month or so she will be with me ( babies are leaving soon) I just hope he does bond with her,worried about that just in case he turns on her :(

Is there anything else I can do to help him trust me??

Two of my buns don't seem to want much human contact. I've had them for 8 months now. They normally prefer me to leave them food and go. They are part of a trio and seem happy with rabbit company. I've resigned myself to the fact that they are never going to be cuddle buns.

I did find it difficult at first - it definitely didn't click into place for a while prob because I felt that they didn't really like me, and I wondered if I shouldn't have got them. They escaped a few times but always came back! They have been growing on me with their antics - at the moment, trashing my garden/grooming/binkying/digging. They have also started coming closer (but not right up to me) at veggie time. A couple of days ago one of them took a treat from my hand for the first time ever. I didn't think that would ever happen but when it did, it was such a big deal to me. Took a long time to happen though.

This is a bit rambly but I think what I'm trying to say is that I get enormous pleasure from seeing them just doing what makes them happy, even without a lot of interaction with them. But they're never going to want much to do with me. It probably wasn't what I wanted but they're happy and I've adjusted my expectations accordingly!

My Smudge is nothing like my lops, or the way you describe. It's just his personality. He does like me, he doesn't like my dad, my dad was quite hurt to begin with but now he realises it's just Smudge's way.

There are a few things you can do though. Is Digs neutered? Has he had a health check? Sometimes bunnies can be aggressive because they don't feel 100%. Do you hand feed pellets? That's a good way to get bunny used to a human presence.

He's neuterd yea and vets have checked him,bk teeth a tad long but vet said nothin to worry about right now. (shes bunny- savvy I know that,been reccomeneded) I don't hand feed pellets cos he just lunges and I'm scared he's going to go for me :(

He's neuterd yea and vets have checked him,bk teeth a tad long but vet said nothin to worry about right now. (shes bunny- savvy I know that,been reccomeneded) I don't hand feed pellets cos he just lunges and I'm scared he's going to go for me :(

maybe put on some thick gloves and give it a go? Try and be confident :)

maybe put on some thick gloves and give it a go? Try and be confident :)

This.

Also how do you approach him. Bunnies can't see directly in front of them so things coming from in front can startle them and make them lunge.

One of mine is mostly like your digs, he still grunts at me and trys to box me a lot :lol: he will now take treats and run when I call him cos he knows hes going to get one. He will not be stroked or nose rubbed though and spins, lunges and grunts if you try so I just don't try anymore. He is awful to pick up if you need to but once you have hold of him he doesn't squirm about as much as my other friendly buns who like strokes.

This.

Also how do you approach him. Bunnies can't see directly in front of them so things coming from in front can startle them and make them lunge.

Won't gloves scare him more? I always make sure he sees me,sideways so to speak :) I call his name and he definitely listens,always talking to him just to get him used to me :)

Bunnies are very in tune with human emotions so they will pick up on your worry and anxiety. Gloves should let you be a bit more confident. :)

This.

This & what is his sight like any way?
Does he scan?
One of my girls is red eyed, scans & doesn't see as well as other buns.
I have to approach her differently to my fully sighted guys.
Maybe Digs is similar & lack of sight makes him fearful & reactive?

I too was thinking about sight and hearing and also how he will pick up on what you're feeling.

What is his marking? Can you hand feed him through the bars of his cage? Maybe with something long so you can poke it through by not feel at risk? Maybe work on building some confidence?

What else occured to me is that you haven't accepted him for who he is, and he will pick up on that as well. If you're frustrated or bitter or resentful, then he will feel that too, which will also make matters worse.

You will hear about stories on here but you will hear a huge wide variety of stories about many different types of bunnies. He will have many lovely characteristics and he may not be what you wanted him to be, but he is who he is. I would think that if you can find a way to accept him for who he is then things will become an awful lot easier (and having a friend will hopefully help- especially a confident one- so well done for going down that path :thumb:).

Also, if he has had a hard time then you need to be super patient with him and not add to his mixed emotions- which you will be doing if you are scared of him (and feeling anything else negative around him). So working hard to build confidence and also calming down around him might help.

Currently the majority of what you're doing is looking from your point of view. What happens if you stop looking from your point of view and look from his. What do you see then?

My bun can be very grumpy at times, he won't let me pick him up as HE doesn't like it, not that he doesn't like me. Most rabbits don't like being picked up or cuddled, they like to just bunny around to their own devices.

It sounds like because he hasn't had much contact with humans before he probably doesn't recognise you or trust you at the moment. Rather than blaming him you need to make sure he knows you are ok and that your his friend. Is he outside or inside?

Can you sit with him for a few hours? giving him a little stroke if he runs past but let him explore you, let him come to you. He will learn to trust you in time.

Also if you put pellets in your hand and put your hand on the floor he won't be able to lunge at you. Say pellets everytime you come with pellets so he recognises your voice. That way he might come to you in the future.

It does take time but you have to be happy with how he is. Think of how scared he must be.

Hi again Jodes.
There is a great little book by Anne McBride which explains why bun buns behave as they do & helps owners to 'think rabbit'.
It's called 'Why Does My Rabbit...?'
The RWAF sell it & its really worth a read to help figure out what are buns are up too.

You need to accept him for him. Rabbits are individuals. Some are friendly, some aren't. Some prefer human interaction, some only want bunny company. Some don't like Spinach.....

It's impossible to mould a rabbit to how you want them to be, so you need to just accept him how he is, and love him for his quirks. :love: He's such a beautiful bunny, and it's obvious that you adore him.

Another thing to think about is how much permanent space does he have? I've found that when I've had to restrict my buns living space even the most mild mannered bun has become a grumpy sod! :lol::lol:

I think something might of happened to him with my mates boyfriend.....
Had a get together one evening,all of us in the garden just chilling out. Myself,my mate and her boyfriend who had digs were staying in my flat ( he gets to run around the whole flat all day everyday) anyway,I walked in from the toilet and found my mates partner holding digs by the scruff of the neck :( i went mental!! He said he was trying to stop digs from kicking and scratching hence why I think he hates men.

I absolutely adore him.really do but he i feel he just hates me.I'm not bitter towards him - I'm bitter towards my friend and her partner making digs feel like he does about humans. I want him to trust me and I know that takes time.

I know he's moved house a few times with my mate,locked in a cage most of the time and not had a great deal of love so from his point of view,yes he's scared and thinking what the he'll is going on :(

He doesn't hate you :) He is just still traumared (I never know how to spell that) by whatever has happened to him before.

He is in there and he is reachable, it's just a case of reaching him in a way that works for him.

I'm very much with Kay, these types of bunnies are my favourites and when you start to reach them, it's amazing.

Aw, poor little fella :(

It will take a long time if he's been badly treated, but it will be so worth it:)

Do you just sit with him and let him explore you? Butters wasn't used to people when I first had him, and he'd still rather not be taken out of his home, but after a good six months or more he let me give him a nose rub :love: It doesn't happen very often as he's still shy, but he's a lot more confident now :)

Hope you manage to gain his trust so that you can feel he's happy with you :)

Back