• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Just cleaned out Beau's scent glands

I'm just about to train to be a dog groomer. Not looking forward to that part of the job, thats for sure!!

Are we talking about dog anal glands here by any chance?? They do smell completely rank but fortunately, as I feed my dogs a natural raw meaty bone diet, their glands empty all by themselves :D.

Are we talking about dog anal glands here by any chance?? They do smell completely rank but fortunately, as I feed my dogs a natural raw meaty bone diet, their glands empty all by themselves :D.

Nope, Beau is a bunny. A stinky STINKY bunny! blurgh!

I've never cleaned Charlies :?
He doesn't smell though... I'm not meant to be doing it am I? :lol:

I dont mind the smell of my bunnys scent glands at all:shock:
I remove what looks like a thin small crisp from him every few days:?
My otherbuns get a thicker type of thing deeper inside their pockets: that is not as easy to remove.

Last edited:
Ive never done Marleys either. He does smell occasionally, but i think its usually after hes scented his poos as its always in the front room - which is where Skye likes to spend some of her free range time.

How do you know if they need doing? ... and how do you do it?

I've never done any of my buns' scent glands. Feel a bad Bunny Mummy now but my vet has never mentioned it.

How often should it be done? None of mine smell of anything other than hay.

I did Muesli's for the first time a couple of weeks ago - eurgh it reeks! :lol:

I havent done any of the others, I just did it because he was smelling and when I checked his bottom I noticed these crusty brown bits. :oops:

I only did it because we were brushing his tummy and I noticed it was crusty. He's young and healthy so I don't know why he doesn't clean them himself. It absolutely pongs, it's like a mix of poo and gone-off beer. :mrgreen:

Same for any animal, you dont normally need to do them :wave:

I had to take a kitten to the vet to have his done once, I almost puked :mrgreen:

I'm just about to train to be a dog groomer. Not looking forward to that part of the job, thats for sure!!

Scent glands are manipulated everytime the pet goes for a poop and shouldn't usually need doing.
Most grooming parlours stopped doing this many years ago (or at least I was told when working in one) as they found the reason was usually medical and it is a painful procedure in dogs and they need antibiotics so we always refferred them to the vets.
I would ask why they would want you to learn this and whether they then ask the owner to go straight to vets for pain relief?

Back