• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dry Hay?

Isis

Mama Doe
I have a black bag with dry hay in it, left over from the bale that my mum gave me. I am not sure what to do with it now. Is it okay to use it in their litter trays? Or will it be too dusty for them? What should I do with it?

Hay is always dry..? :?
To test if it is dusty:
You should stick your nose on it, and see if you sneeze, if it is dusty you could shake it well then spray it with water to dampen the dust.

I don't use the 'dregs' of the bale. I generally shake my hay out into the storage box we use before putting it in tubs to bring indoors. Then when the bale is finished all the dusty and short bits get used as mulch on the allotments.

But as whitehood says, all hay should be dry, you don't want to feed damp hay to rabbits.

All the short bits are in the bin, but the last two sections of what is left of the hay just seems extra dry to me :? It might just be me, because my hands are drier then normal (a lot of cleaning), and might just feel drier.

Back