• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit ears

angel242c

Young Bun
Does anyone know what age baby buns ears start to lop? Are there any stages or do they just go from upright to lop?

It varies a lot depending on the tightness of the crown. Can be early as 3 weeks, can be later at around 7-8 weeks or much, much later.

I had a littler of lop crosses and their ears were very different each day, some days down, some days up, some days one up, one down, etc. Now all are lopped although one has ear control of one ear.

I had snowball for about 5 months before his ears both fully lopped. Until then he had 1 up 1 down.
He still has control of one ear though.

Bubbles is about 2 and still has 1 ear up, 1 ear lopped

Max had one up one down until he was 8 months old. I just woke up one morning and both were down and never went back up again :lol:

Thanks for the replies. I have a rescue litter of wildie x lop who are 7 weeks on Monday. Their ears aren't straight up, they're sort of halfway between vertical an horizontal, and I was wondering if they might lop.

It would look very cute as they are all agouti's :)

You might find you have some aeroplane ears :) (I so didn't type earoplane ears first :lol:) but they are unlikely to lop fully due to them being a cross, and also the wildie gene so very strong.

Wildie cross bunnies are amazing.

They are aren't they :) There are two that have wildie faces and two that def look more like their mum. The two that look more like mum are also the two that are far more friendly, even though they've all had the same amount of handling. Genetics are an amazing thing!!!!

My dwarf lop called Sherlock, had both up when I brought him home at 9 weeks, then that night be put one ear down, two weeks later he put both ears down for a day and then decided he wanted radar ears - so kept control of both, he normally put one up and one down.:lol:

They are aren't they :) There are two that have wildie faces and two that def look more like their mum. The two that look more like mum are also the two that are far more friendly, even though they've all had the same amount of handling. Genetics are an amazing thing!!!!

They are indeed completely fascinating. Are you planning on keeping them all?

I've seen bunnies a few weeks old with ears very nearly lopped, then again my Harley has lop parents and his ears upright, although very occasionally he lowers one

It depends on the parents really, you'll see lops with very thin heads and ears that stick out a bit, their babies will probably take longer to lop and lops with the very rounded heads and ears that go perfectly down. I've heard certain lines of purebred lops will 'lop' earlier. I imagine a larger lop such as the English or French would lop a lot earlier as their ears are much heavier

They are indeed completely fascinating. Are you planning on keeping them all?

I hope to. The logistics are a bit of a nightmare as there are 3 boys and only 1 girl, so I'll have to split them up in a few weeks. Hopefully I will be able to put them all back together once they've been neutered. I just can't imagine not having them all around.

Back