• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Slightly worn hock on a dwarf lop

Jenson

Mama Doe
Hello

Rather than gatecrash the other interesting hock thread, and because I'm asking about a dwarf lop I thought I'd start new thread.

This evening we took Jenson to get his claws clipped by the nurse at the vets, I asked if they could check his feet because it looked a little worn to me.
First the nurse asked if he sat in wet bedding. Jenson is a house bunny with lovely clean feet, nothing is damp, he uses his tray and I clean everything fully daily. So they said keep him on soft bedding, this is hard to do.
Whatever I put in Jenson's cage (his base), he moves. He likes to rearrange his cage.
Outside of his cage we have pet mats for him to hop around on because he won't go on the laminate.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should do to stop it getting any worse? All advice welcome as we're still learning.
He's a year old and I think fairly well grown but he's not overweight.

The fact that he has just had his nails clipped will help. Also you could apply some sudocrem to the sore bits. Just a thin layer, and try to hold bun for a couple of mins to help it dry in, and maybe distract him by feeding him straight afterwards.

I have used sudocrem on slightly sore hocks before with good results x

As Kermit said keeping his nails short. Also without being personal is he at all on the chubby side? If so that wont help

Hi, thanks for replies.
He won't let me hold him so I don't rate my chances of putting cream on!!
I wondered if his claws had got a little long and maybe that wasn't helping because his hocks were fine until recent (despite his not letting me pick him up I spend quite a bit of time laying or sitting on the floor with him so I can see his feet as he hops around me).

Don't worry, no he isn't overweight. I think it dawned on me recently that he's grown a bit more and that he's quite big, but he's not chubby.

My french/german lop has a slightly sore hock - I've been advised to just make sure that the foot fur is covering it well and try not to let her be on carpet too much (as apparently this increases the wear).

Back