• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

still having litter training problems..

skippersmom

Warren Scout
hey all, so ever since i moved the bunnies into their new home they havent been using the litter box correctly! its very annoying for me!!

First, i had one large tray, they used it to poop but would pee beside it! so i went out and bought a smaller tray and put it where they were peeing and NO LUCK!! they just move the litter boxes now and poo/pee behind them!!!! im so frustrated and have no clue what to do, i've completely deodorized the entire space so that older smells could not be detected but those little sniffy bunny noses work really well!! :p

anyone know any tricks ? would moving it to a completely new spot help me at all ? or will they still pee in that corner?

what really bugs me is that the litter box is in the corner of their choosing but they move it out of the way to pee behind it!!

Carpet, Lino? I used some sticky backed Velcro for attaching to clothes and stuck one bit to the floor and one to a tray they insisted on moving. If carpet you could just stick one bit to the tray and that might hold it fast enough. Or a bigger snugger fitting tray.

i tried that about a month ago and came home to miss bambi ( the little minx ) eating the velcro!! i immediately removed it for fear of ingesting the little prickly bits.

I also went out and bought a tray that screws into the wall, and mr. skipper figured that one out in about five minutes.

stupid bunnies.. actually, smart bunnies i should say :p

oh and to answer your question, its kind of complicated. The litter trays are inside a dog crate with a crate mat in it, so carpeted i guess is the closest option.. but they move the crate mat all the time too! im thinking of taking it right out and letting them roam around on the hard crate floor, not very friendly for their paws though :(
and then there is a pen attached with blanketed flooring (hardwood underneath - they love to lay on it though) and then attached to THAT is a 42" rabbit cage with two levels, filled with hay. they have about 12 sq feet of space.

Oh dear! Mine never managed to have access to the Velcro as it stuck pretty fast. I've since moved the tray to somewhere it fits more snuggly.

mmmm i could move it .... im thinking of one particular corner which could be more snug... hmmm.. !

just wondering if moving it will throw them off though?

They might still pee in the other corner for a while but in my experience they tend to go where the hay is. Is the box big enough? I used to find mine would pee over the edge when I used cat litter trays as they simply werent deep enough, since changing to underbed storage boxes and washing up bowls I haven't had that problem.

hmm.. i think its big enough? im not sure... that could be the problem!! however they both seem to fit into it together fine.. and its a high back-ed corner pan so the entire back is about 6 inches higher than the front.. hmm.. i'll have to start supervising to find out - this is not something they teach in vet school !!! Grrrr!

Hmm I always found mine moved those trays or missed. They get on far better with rectangular deep trays like underbed boxes. For a few pounds from Wilkos it might be worth a go.

I live in toronto :p those stupid deep bay litter pans are a good 15 bucks here... gosh, its worth a go though!! no pain no gain... well... pain for the wallet that is... (this is a bad time for me to have been fired - for no reason i may add!! ) 15 bucks may seem like nothing but for someone who just lost their job urgh....... its a lot! but like i said, i'll give it a go. thanks for the advice!

anything else you think may help ? I recently switched them to the newspaper pellets do you think that could be why?

Oh :oops: didn't look at that, sorry.

What about an old washing up bowl? Although mine move those unless they are wedged in.

Back