• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Odd behaviour

Pippin'sMum

Alpha Buck
I have a bonded pair of neutered buns, a male and a female. The female, Apple, is not sociable (to me), she doesn't like to be stroked or handled by me, and will not approach me at all. When I feed, she will hide out of the way until I've gone, then come in to eat. The male is the opposite, happy to be stroked and loved, and is always most enthusiastic about his grub. The odd behaviour is from Apple. If they are both in the hutch where I put their veg, and I start stroking Pippin, the boy, Apple will grunt and jump at me as if to attack. She hasn't bitten me (yet!) but is quite aggressive with every stroke. I don't try to touch her, so why is she behaving this way? Any ideas? He is the dominant one in their relationship, she is submissive to him (even though she's twice his size). Why doesn't she like me stroking him?

Is she spayed?

Do you smell of anything that might be a threat? Any predators? Dog? Cat? Any other bunnies?

Yes, she is spayed, and has been with me for over a year. She came from my local rescue and had a bad time before ending up there. I do have other buns. :wave:

I would be thinking that she perceives a threat from you and is trying to drive you away. If, for example, her hearing or sight is not good, and she smells you, she may not realise you are a person, but think you are another rabbit.

I'd suggest watching her behaviour, looking at triggers for her actions.

Also, if you can, work to build her trust for you.

Thanks for your reply. As I mentioned in my original post she only does it when I stroke Pippin, her companion. She doesn't do it when I stroke her, or at any other time, ie when I put my hands near her to clean out the hutch or put food in. Just seems strange!

I think Pippin is hers.......its a jealousy/possession thing.
What to do about it I have no idea.

That thought had occurred to me, that she maybe thinks I am going to take him away from her. As she hasn't made contact with me but just seems to be warning me I'm not bothered about the behaviour, I just wondered if anyone had any ideas! thanks for your replies:D

Back