• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Post op care and eating

Thumper98

Warren Scout
Hi everyone,

My beautiful doe Lilou is just back from her spay this morning. I have been told that everything during the op went fine and she woke up from the GA with no problems.

However, I havent seen her eat since i brought her home at 6 p.m. If she had her op this morning at 10, that would make about 8 hours now without food! She is generally lethargic, uninterested in her favourite treats, but is grooming herself occasionally and turning around for a more comfy spot. She also reacted when her brother Leo came in to say hi (and steal her food).

Is this normal and when can I expect her to start eating before I freak out and run to the vet's again?

Thanks for any advice! I am getting kinda worried...

Has she eaten since the op? A lot of vets wont let them go until they have eaten something. Has she had a painkiller? she might not eat if she is in pain

I am not sure if the vet made her eat before she came home. She did have a good breakfast before she had the op though. She has had painkillers but I was told to start giving her some more from tomorrow morning. She is drinking though... but refuses even her favourite parsley!

It's quite usual to be off their food after an op but you do need to get them eating as soon as possible. Try all her favourite treats and some fresh grass etc.

I am not sure if the vet made her eat before she came home. She did have a good breakfast before she had the op though. She has had painkillers but I was told to start giving her some more from tomorrow morning. She is drinking though... but refuses even her favourite parsley!
Do you have a small syringe? Could you mash some pellets up and mix them with some water and try syringe feeding her?

I managed to feed her 3 mouths of mashed up pellets. She took the first 2 ok, but only tolerated the 3rd. Will try again in an hour. At least something...... right?

I mixed the pellet mash into her drinking water and she took many sips of that.. This morning she ate a few leaves of radish which was good. But the vet says its not normal, that she should be eating more than that. So I will go down again this afternoon...

Spaying is a standard procedure right? Why am i having all these problems?? Sigh. I feel awful for putting her through this as she was doing ok before... :(

i wasnt able to get her to the vet as I have no transport today and taking the bus to and from town is a stress exercise for bunnies (even for me!).

However, I gave her painkillers in the morning and shes now eating some basil and radish leaves and accepted 3 small pellets! Thats all she will eat for now though - no carrots or other veg and no hay. She's pooing but its kinda soft and a couple of them, mushy.

Should I be very concerned? She seems more relaxed now and is now chilling with her brother and grooming herself a lot. Although I suspect she must still be in pain.

Thanks!!! I know you guys are vets but your advice has helped a lot! :)

Back