• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

grr tapeworms

catxx

Mama Doe
Following on from this in April: http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=278487

Over the last few weeks have found the odd section of tapeworm in fresh poos again. :evil: Nothing on the scale of the previous infestation though.

The buns don't seem to care in themselves, they're being their normal cheeky selves!

A bit stumped over what to do. Don't want to Panacur them again so soon (especially seeing as it didn't really work). These are animals that eat their own poo so trying to prevent that would end in unhealthy poorly buns anyway.

A bit stumped over what to do! What would you do?

Panacur doesn't affect tapeworms. They are too big for the fenbendazole to kill.

When we had tapeworms my whole crew had to each have two injections, ten days apart, of something beginning with 'Dron' (I never remember if it's Droncit or Drontal). I would do that again if I had tape worm here.

The vets (both emergency and my regular vets) seemed a bit bemused being confronted with rabbits with tapeworms! I had read on the net that Panacur wouldn't touch tapeworms but was unsure what to do.

I'll give the vets a call next week and see if I can book them in. I would like to get rid of it before they go into boarding for my holiday in September!

Rabbits can't get tapeworms in the true sense of the word. They are only the intermediary host for the tapeworm cyst. If the rabbit is eaten by, for example, a fox, the tapeworm will develop in the fox.

ETA - just read your previous post which said they WERE tapeworms. How very strange - the lab report on ones looking exactly the same as that from Pea and Pod came back as 'vegetable matter'. They've never passed anything like it since :?.

Last edited:
Thanks! I'm going to start trying to weigh the little monsters in case this effects them that way. But they seem fine in every other sense!

I have only found one or two segments (non-moving little tube-like blobs) in the poos. Found three segments in their poos this afternoon, out of over 60 poops. After the panacur dose they did not expel a bit long one like in that second link.

Will call the vets next week and set them a task for curing my rabbits!! They are 5 years old now so I am hesitant to fill them full of drugs.

Back