• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

my rabbit isnt eating or drinking

ebonysmama

New Kit
my rabbit ebony is being very lathargic and is not eating or drinking . i went to the vet and they said it could be that she is juts in heat but i dont know im worried about her please give me some advice thanxs

I agree that your vet's advice seems dubious :?

Due to the way rabbit's digestive systems work, if they stop eating for any length of time, it can be very serious. The digestive system effectively shuts down and it can be very difficult to get it going again :cry:

If this was my rabbit, depending on how long this had been going on, I would want her to see the vet to be examined to find the cause, and possibly given some metaclopramide (a gut stimulant) - depends on the cause though

Can you think of anything that could have triggered this - could she have eaten anything unusual, that she wasn't supposed to have?

hope she's ok x

Your vet is obviously not knowledgeable about rabbits at all, as they don't go 'into heat'. Rabbits are induced ovulators, so its impossible for her to go into heat.

Please get your rabbit to another vet as soon as possible. Rabbit not eating or drinking is not a good thing.

If you put a thread in 'Rabbit Chat' asking for "Good rabbit savvy vet in xxx" (replace xxx with your closest town) you may find a really good one recommended by other members.

I agree, I would have her seen by a different vet. There isn't much time whn buns stop eating. The longer they go without food the harder it is to get them eating again.

Yep! She needs examined by a vet that knows more about rabbits. My guess is that she'll need a gut stimulent, some pain relief and maybe a wee syringe feed. Please don't leave it any longer - she's probably in pain and she could get very ill indeed and possibly die.

Hi

Did the vet listen to Ebony's stomach movement? She would be able to tell if her gut had stopped either on one or both sides, this is what indicates if there is a problem or not, she could be given medicine to try to restart her gut.

When Emily's gut stopped first on one side and then the other, she died on the same day due to bloat.

If the gut stops working the gasses build up inside which causes bloat, once stopped, it is very hard to get the gut started again and emily, dispite pain killers and medicines, and 2 trips to the vet in the same day, nothing could be done. Prevention is definitely better than cure but sometimes there is just no apparent reason why it happens.

Get her to a good vet immediately.

You havent updated today so I am really hoping that everything is ok.

thinking of you, I know how hard this is.

Angela

Back