• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

sore tail

hi,when i was brushing my wee mini lop isabella today i noticed the tip of her tail bit crusty, flaky, bloody anyone any ideas what this is??

I'm not sure, is there anything she could have cut it on? Or could she have been bitten by another bun? Is it definately blood, could it be poo? Sorry, i hope Isabella is ok and someone more helpful than me comes along soon!x

Impossible to say without being able to see it !!

Could be an injury, a bacterial dermatitis, urine burn.......................

Is she keeping herself clean ? No urine soaked fur or poo stuck to her ?

She does need to be seen by a Vet as if the skin has broken down there is a risk of infection. Because there is very little soft tissue covering the tail the infection can rapidly spread into cartilage/bone. This could even mean that she loses her tail.

Thank u so much will take her to vet tomorrow. She nees a lot of care and attention re. her bottom. The vet has said that because she has such a flat nose she is unable to totally care for herself which means I bath her n brush her regularly checking her every day so it is possible this is the cause. will let u know how we get on tomorrow.

hi, took Isabella to vet today, he thinks maybe been nipped by 1 of other bunnies? But def. not urine burn - he checked all area n skin nice n healthy. given fuciderm to apply twice/day. Thanks for replies, :)

Back