• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Jojo has cancer :-(

AnnieElms

Mama Doe
My foster bun Jojo was speyed last week, and her uterus was sent off for testing, as the vet found tumours. We've just had the results, and they were cancerous :cry:. We don't know whether they have spread elsewhere, but my vet obviously warned me that the cancer could spread into her liver or abdomen.

I am so sad for her. I need to think about her future. The vet said she could have months, or she could have years. I don't think she can be rehomed.

I am devastated. This bunny has made such an impression on me in the few weeks I have had her here. She is beautiful. She loves strokes. She chins me every time I go to her. Poor Jojo. She is 7 and has lived her whole life alone. I wanted to see her in a new home with a husbun :(

So very sorry to hear about Jojo.

I am sure that you will do your utmost to make the remainder of her life a wonderful and happy one.

Thinking of you at this horrible time. xxx

That's so sad.

Glad she's safe with you getting all the love and care she needs.

Thinking of you.
x

She is in a new home. :) Sounds like she is in her forever home.

Hearing news like that is shocking and upsetting, and I'm very sorry that you're dealing with that, but, in terms of Jojo, she may be ill, but she is also lucky. She is not going to die a suffering death, she is going to be loved and happy and know what love is. She doesn't care she may or may not have cancer, just that right now she is probably happier than she has ever been. That's completely priceless.

I had a foster who stayed under similar circumstances. When she died, we celebrated her death. All the footage from this video is after she arrived at mine (obviously) and all that time she had cancer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUDZ5wN_Pyk
(sadly the audio has been disabled, but it's to 'Young at Heart' by the Bluebells.

Doesn't look unhappy really, does she. :lol: she died having had a wonderful time, better than ever. That's what you'll give Jojo. She will have the happiest time of her life.

Sorry, due to the kind of bunnies I take on, I have a slightly different view from others. Sorry if you find that disrespectful.

She is in a new home. :) Sounds like she is in her forever home.

Hearing news like that is shocking and upsetting, and I'm very sorry that you're dealing with that, but, in terms of Jojo, she may be ill, but she is also lucky. She is not going to die a suffering death, she is going to be loved and happy and know what love is. She doesn't care she may or may not have cancer, just that right now she is probably happier than she has ever been. That's completely priceless.

I had a foster who stayed under similar circumstances. When she died, we celebrated her death. All the footage from this video is after she arrived at mine (obviously) and all that time she had cancer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUDZ5wN_Pyk
(sadly the audio has been disabled, but it's to 'Young at Heart' by the Bluebells.

Doesn't look unhappy really, does she. :lol: she died having had a wonderful time, better than ever. That's what you'll give Jojo. She will have the happiest time of her life.

Thank you Sky-O. Your post made me cry (but in a good way). What a really lovely video. And you are right, she looks like a very happy bunny.

I will need to have a good, long think about how to go ahead now. I would like nothing more than to keep her and give her a good end of her life for however long that will be. But I must think about whether I can afford to do this. I didn't think I could afford any more bunny vet bills (which I would be liable for if I 'adopted' her), but the alternative does not bear thinking about.

I really love her. I am going now to give her some head rubs and a treat.

Thank you for your lovely post x

ETA - I didn't mean my post to sound like I am only thinking of the money and not about Jojo (I read it back and it sounded like that). I meant I need to be 100% sure that I can offer her what she needs before taking her on as my own. It would be no good for her if she fell ill and I really struggled to pay the vet bills. Ghaaah, I think I know what I mean, but can't express it!!

Last edited:
I am so sorry you have had this news. Going through similar things with Starfish at the moment means I really understand. I also feel these bunnies come our way for a short time so we can help them and make sure their last weeks and months are not in suffering.

Last edited:
Thank you Ali. I have been reading your thread about Starfish. I am so sorry for you. It is really tough, but I have realised we must see it all in a positive way as you have said. Our bunnies have a nice time when they are with us, people who really care for them and love them. x

It's ok. You need to decide whether you can meet her needs, and yes, some of that is about finance, especially with a potentially ill bunny.

Would an option be to continue fostering for the rescue and have her almost as a permanent foster? Or maybe work out an agreement with them about splitting the costs of her care or something?

It's ok. You need to decide whether you can meet her needs, and yes, some of that is about finance, especially with a potentially ill bunny.

Would an option be to continue fostering for the rescue and have her almost as a permanent foster? Or maybe work out an agreement with them about splitting the costs of her care or something?

Yes, this is a good idea. I need to have a good chat about this with the RSPCA inspector/branch that I foster for. It will depend on their finances also, but I know that we all have any animal's quality of life as a priority, so it may be something that they will help me with. I think if the worst comes to the worst I would make sure I could meet the bills, but it would need my OH's support as well. I will find a way :)

I just gave Jojo a nice bit of apple, and she is munching away very happily. :love:

:) Maybe you could work something like, they do the vaccs and you pay additional treatment or anything.

Hopefully you can find a way to do whatever you think is right for you and Jojo (and incidently, my girl that I posted about over there was called Jo because I renamed her Summer, just thought that was a nice little coincidence).

Giving a home to a terminally ill bunny is such a wonderful feeling and experience, even though it is created from sadness.

I'm so sorry :( I hope it hasn't spread and she can stay comfortable as long as possible. Sending lots of vibes for Jojo xx

I have 2 bunnies who were found to have cancer when they were spayed. One had the operation over a year ago and is still right as rain. The other had the op. a few months ago, and she is fine too. Got my fingers crossed that JoJo is as lucky as my two x

Really hope Jojo will be healthy and happy for a while yet, and you get to spend lots of quality time with her xx

Back