• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Feel So Guilty :((

caylar

New Kit
Hello guys,

I am coming on here for some comfort as I am at my wits end! On Monday my lovely bunny Thumper died aged 4! He was a lop eared rabbit and my best friend! I dont know why he died and vet cannot help!

Friday night he seemed a little quiet and when I got up Saturday I knew he was poorly as he hadnt eaten! I took him straight to my vet and he said Thumper had an infected tooth, put him on antibiotics and told me to try and get him eating - worst case scenario he may need the tooth out! As soon as I got Thumper back to the car he started making a weird noise like a humming sound! I ran him back into the vet and was told he was storing his saliva in his throat as he didnt want to swallow and he would be ok when we got home! Later in the afternoon Thumper started to bring up saliva like liquid and making choking sounds and so I decided to take him to the emergency vets! They kept him overnight on oxygen and said his chest sounded funny! We got him back Sunday morning, took him back to our vet and they said we needed to bring him back Monday to have his tooth out and his chest was fine! So again we took him home where he continued with this choking/saliva outbursts! I felt so helpless but vet said he would be ok once tooth gone!

Monday morning he went to have his operation and the vet rang to say Thumper had a fit but he thought he had caught his tooth funny and it was the pain! They did the operation and took out 2 teeth and then said he seemed ok but within an hour he had another siezure and was back on oxygen! By the time my partner got there at 6pm he stroked him and Thumper took a breath and died! What happened to my bunny? I feel so so so guilty like I killed him and his bad teeth were all my fault! He has 6 monthly checks, all his jabs and we have paid £500 in vets bills this weekend alone and would have paid loads more to have him safe :eek:( Vet said it could have been a stroke or it could have been an infection so bad it went to his brain!

I miss him so so much! :( xxxx

Firstly I would just like to offer condolences, you shouldnt feel bad as it sounds to me that you did absolutley everything possible. A lot more than the average bunny owner.

Binky free precious Thumper!!

Bug hugs for you

hi, I'm so sorry to hear about ur bunny. it sounds like u did everything u could and everything u were advised so try not to feel guilty. The saliva thing does sound like a tooth problem, I don't know enough as to what could have caused the seizures, but it could be what you said - the infection going to his brain, my friend's rabbit had something similar. He will always be with you and knows u love him xxx

Last edited:
Hindsight is always 20/20. You didn't know, and when you did, you did everything you could.

I'm so, so sorry. x

Thank you so so much - I just feel heartbroken and dont want him to feel I let him down! As soon as I saw he was poorly he was straight to the vet I just wish the vet would have taken the tooth out that day?? Maybe it would be different? And he only started making horrible noises after his antibiotic injection? If he had got poorly in the week maybe the operation would have been sooner?

I have another bunny Topsy who misses him so much! I have moved my bed downstairs to be with her and try and look after her as much as I can :)) xxxx

Thank you so so much - I just feel heartbroken and dont want him to feel I let him down! As soon as I saw he was poorly he was straight to the vet I just wish the vet would have taken the tooth out that day?? Maybe it would be different? And he only started making horrible noises after his antibiotic injection? If he had got poorly in the week maybe the operation would have been sooner?

I have another bunny Topsy who misses him so much! I have moved my bed downstairs to be with her and try and look after her as much as I can :)) xxxx

Awww you poor love!!! You did lots to help him and he would have known that I just know it!

Awww poor you! As the others have said you did everything you could for him and I am sure he knew that. Sending lots of hugs to you and the little bun he left behind!

Am sure he is in a pain free happy place now.

Hard for the ones he leaves behind. Hard as it is you must not feel bad, you did all you could for him.

Big hugs X

So sorry for your loss :cry:
At least he was not alone when he did pass, he will have known that you were doing all you could to make him better so try to remember that. ((hugs))

Your Bunny

I am so sorry for your lose and it's so normal to blame yourself. We all do that when we loose a pet. You did everything you knew to do and your bunny knows that. Please quit blaming yourself! Sometimes things are just not in our power or the doctors. Concentrate on the fact that while you had your bunny you gave him a happy and loving life. That's a lot. It hurts, but now focus on the sweet baby you have left. Lots of love.

Back