• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New/First Litter Help :(

Hi Jess had her 1st litter last night at about 5pm, completely unprepared, wasn't even aware she was pregnant!

any how let me explain my situation, Adopted Jess off my sister in law but couldnt have her outside because we had seen a fox in yard in past so we put her in the shed, my dad adapted some old cleaned out pigeon boxes .... fast forward to half hour ago i went home and because the slots are big compared to the rabbits 3 fell out on to some straw below there fine and bloody wriggly my dad has now covered the holes with wood so they cannot get out and 3 were put back in together ... now the 4th one had been completely seperated from them 3 so much so it had got over a ledge about
2" high and was in the section with Jess, i have put it back with the other 3 ..... im so scared and worried im tryin not to touch them but scared that she'll reject them because ive had to move them to safety!!

It's a myth that rabbits reject their young if you touch them. If they do reject their young, then it's because they feel exceptionally unsafe.

If you do touch them again, make sure you stroke mum first and then touch the babies, and that your hands don't smell of anything strong before you touch mum.

You will need to watch for the first 48 hours to ensure they have been fed and remove any dead kits or any placentas from the nest.

I'm unsure how your set up works, or, to be honest, what has actually happened, but hopefully they are now all together, where mum thinks they should be, she will know what to do.

If the babies don't look like they swallowed ping pong balls within about 36-48 hours then come and ask for more advice.

How is mum acting? eating? drinking? pooing? weeing? Separate for any boys?

Ive made it a habbit of always stroking Jess before and after i go near the kits, wanted her to know i'm not a threat - im pretty sure she's quite sick of me ;)

They have all been put back together im sure if she wants them seperated she'll move it ... it is hard to explain what its like in the shed .... I'm going down as much as i can to make sure there ok - they all look like they've swollen a ping pong ball and all are wriggly & figgerty

ive also moved the nest slightly away from were it was as it was right against the door ..... should this be ok?

She's not with any boys he's completely clocked from her again although i thought he was in 1st place ... she seems find she's calm, wee and poo seems normal ....

Mum will now need a lot more food, to produce enough breast milk.

Agree with above. If she feels save and trusts you then you touching the babies should be no probs at all. You need to secure the.cage as babies are very wriggly and some of them are fantastic climbers, even When just a couple of days old.
Think of the impossible when making a cage bunny baby proof and I mean the absolute impossble.

Just increase the food over the next three or so days until you are free feeding her.

Sounds like her milk has come in early and she has fed them early, if she has, indeed fed them.

Mum won't move them, she can't, so wherever they go, they stay. Sometimes they may kick dead or ill babies out the nest though.

THANKS SO MUCH!!!

your advise has been great i will keep an eye on them all and keep you posted ....

i dread to think what i'll be like when i have a kid if im this bad with rabbits ::shock:

Sorry no advice but I just want to say you sound like you're in control of the situation and you'll be fine. Keep us updated on how mum and babies are doing! :wave:

I don't feel in control let me tell ya' .... JESUS!!

i was like a mad woman last night, dropped fella off at 6 went down to them, before i went to work, at dinner i was there im sure ill be there tonight .... id be livin in shed if i still lived at home ....

lol

Sorry I can't help either but sounds like all is going ok. Let us know how they get on and post some pictures when they are bigger so we can see the babies!

i want to will just have to see what my dad says, they live at his house lol, im sure he can make some room in shed for them .... i cant bear the thought of seperating them ... :( and besides these might actually like me unlike there parents lol ;)

If you get them all spayed an neutered when they're old enough there is no reason why they all can't live together as a big group. :) It sounds like you're doing really well with them.

We Have Eyes

Strangest thing i had a dream that the rabbits had opened there eyes went to check this dinner ... and they have well 3 have :) proper bouncy baby bunnys now will post a video shortly :)

Back