• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

what litter is best for rabbits

angelica p

Warren Scout
:wave:just wondered what everyone uses in there litter trays and what yous think is the best to stop smells and mess

I used to line the tray with newspaper, add a thin layer of megazorb (horse bedding) and then top with hay. :) I'm currently on an economy drive though, so use more newspaper and have done away with the megazorb.

I don't use newspaper, just megazorb with a bit of hay in the corner. I clean out the dirty stuff twice a day.

In some litter trays I used newspaper with loads of hay on, and in other trays i use wood pellet litter with loads of hay on. It depends whether or not I can trust those particular rabbits not to eat the litter.

As I have 6 bunnies in together, I use a large storage box with newspaper, then megazorb and then hay :D Works a treat :D

Newspaper, megazorb and hay :)

I used just newspaper and hay for the rescue buns that were here temporarily, as they didnt wee as much so it didnt get soaked. Worked well but more stinky.

I use wood cat litter when I run out of megazorb, the new P@H value stuff seems to be good, the old stuff was stinky - they are now lighter pellets, but same packaging :? But it works out more expensive than megazorb.

I use newspaper then aubiose and the hay is in a rack.
I find it brilliant for absorbency as well as keeping smells down and I don't find mine kick it around, although they occasionally try and tear up the newspaper.

I use a litter tray liner, megazorb, hay. The litter tray liner is mainly because it makes it easier and less gross to change the litter, and our litter tray is suited to one (it has a clip on rim thing to hold the liner in place and keep bunny teefs away).

Newspaper and hay. I used to use Bio-Catolet, which is fab, but its really expensive.

It really is amazing :love:
But yes, expensive. And really heavy! I find it hard to lift the big bags of biocatolet but an 85l bag of megazorb is easy to carry :lol: Probably cos of the rubbish handles on biocatolet bags.

But yes, expensive. And really heavy! I find it hard to lift the big bags of biocatolet but an 85l bag of megazorb is easy to carry :lol: Probably cos of the rubbish handles on biocatolet bags.

Yes the handles are rubbish :evil: :lol: I use biocatolet just because my vet told me to try using paper-based litter rather than wood/pulp stuff. And I don't like using newspaper! I just make sure I get my OH to come with me when I buy it so he can carry!

I have a 4 layer system: newspaper, the carefresh or back-2-natue litter, then another thin newspaper layer and finally hay on top.
May sound ott but I found it works wonders for me and the buns. :)

The heaviness is why I stopped used the wood pellet cat litters! Not only lugging a bag to the car and back but also carrying the trays up and down the stairs.

I use Bio-catolet and hay as well, as I was told megazorb tends to be a bick sticky on long haired rabbits.

Back