• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How much do you think Rabbits remember the past?

Janey

Warren Veteran
I am just interested because yesterday I was surprised at Poppy's behaviour.

Her and Peter have gone to Daddy's house (my ex's), because I am going to Liverpool for my sister's graduation. Poppy previously lived at his flat for 18 months when I lived there, Peter had only stayed for a couple of weeks, it is now 18 months since either of them have been.

I took them round and opened their pet carrier in the kitchen (where Poppy's cage used to be), straight away Poppy turned around, hopped out of the kitchen, along the landing, up three stairs, into the lounge and looked for the futon under which she spend most of her time (which had been moved).

Basically, she clearly knew where she was, she wasn't nervous or skitty which is what I expected for the first half hour, she was exploring all over the place. I've also been informed that she's up to her old tricks and wouldn't go to bed in the kitchen (which she never does at mine).

I was so suprised that she remembered after all this time, she's 5 and has had several houses (we used to rent & moved frequently due to this), I wonder if she'd remeber any of the others. Has anyone else had similar experiences of bunnies 'remembering'? :)

I personally don't think they have a conscious memory, as such, but wonder if it becomes sort of imprinted and therefore more of an instinct. It will hold familiar smells and stuff as well.

I think that's pretty cool though :) Very interesting. And I bet probably pretty comforting to see.

I think it's probably 'conditioning' rather than memory but I'm glad they were cushty for there couple of days away.

xxx

I've always wondered this! Sky-O what makes you think they dont have a memory?

To me, having a conscious memory implies they sit and consciously think about places they have been, people they have met. I think that mostly they live in the present, experiencing whatever is going on in the present.

I think their past experiences are stored away inside them but on a more sub conscious level or instinctual, so they can be 'triggered' by experiences, smells, people, places, etc, but not necessarily in an 'I remember this' but more related to how they act, and they may not consciously know why they are acting as they do.

Like, if I pick up Sky and clip his nails, he wriggles because he knows he doesn't like that happening. That is happening in the present and causing the reaction.

I have two fosters that if any large piece of material is moved around them, have a panic. It's not distressing to them in the present, so therefore it must be triggering something sub conscious or instinctual. They sort of run around, panicked, looking alert, and then stop and carry on like it never happened. Happens every time. Never had anything bad happen here. My have had something bad happen before, or it may be instinctual (which is less likely given they react to stuff not overhead).

This is just my opinion though and what I have learnt from watching them and their behaviours.

I think they are fascinating little things! I agree sometimes the things they do seems without thought and totally instinctual but others I'm not so sure and without being able to communicate with them properly it's very hard to tell what would be an instinctive reaction versus one caused by an actual memory! Surely they must be thinking when they sit for ages and stare at us and not just thinking I am sitting here :lol: and what about when they seem to dream they aren't in the present but surely visualising things which is a memory of sorts?! Who knows?! If only they could talk!

I too often wonder about their dreams and exactly what sort of dream they experience. If it's like ours then they may be feeling they are in that experience- but that experience must be created from something.

Hay Monster dreams a lot but in a lot of different ways, sometimes he is clearly jumping, recently he did some digging, he eats a LOT, wiggles his ears around too. I sometimes also wonder if he has less good dreams because he sometimes tenses up and arches his whole body.

As for when they sit and look, I don't think they are thinking they are sitting and looking, but may be assessing the situation and what may be about to unfold (like will they be getting good noms), or sometimes I get the feeling they are trying to send me a message (like 'get me some noms now'), or just asleep, or maybe just experiencing an emotion of some sort. Sometimes they just seem to be waiting for something (like being let out).

I find bunnies fascinating. Really, really fascinating. I'd love to really get inside their head and know for sure what is going on.

Currently it's all just educated guess work or just guess work. :lol:

There was a sort of similar thread recently about whether bunnies were intelligent in that do they learn things, or do they do things out of routine. I too find this all very fascinating. It always amazes me how quickly they adapt to a new routine.

It often feels like they remember things, but whether that is true, or whether they are just acting out of routine is impossible to tell. I love how when I come down in the morning, my house bunnies get up and come over. How they hear me open the food box and come scampering over. How whenever I go near the back door, their heads lift up and they come running over because they think they might be allowed free-range time. It really feels like they do this because they remember how much fun it is to go outside :)

I too have experienced my bunnies 'remembering' his area. We went on holiday for 3 weeks last year, and the buns went to my parents' house to stay. When we brought them back, they immediately went and sat in their usual places (over the other side of the room from where I let them out of the carrier). Granted, it was only 3 weeks away, but still...

Also, it's interesting with aggressive bunnies, or nervous bunnies. Do they remember the 3 year old who used to grab them every day, and is that why they cower or bite?

It is so interesting.

I'm sure rabbits remember places. Ones we have rehomed who come back for boarding are always really chilled, and in tune with the routine. They don't behave in a stressed manner as they would if they were somewhere they didn't know. I'm sure they remember me too.

Guinea pigs do too.

I think bunnies must have some sort of memory store, maybe not like humans but there has to be soemthing there.
When we moved Jimbys cage to the other side of the room when we were in the process of bonding him with Cookie, he went and sat where the table used to be and looked very confused because that was his 'day time sleepy place'.
Plus another time he 'remembered' something was when we changed our bed frame to one that he could not get under he was ever so grumpy! :lol: he ran to it, thumped, ran around the other side and thumped then ran backl round the other side... a very unimpressed bunny! :lol:

It will be interesting when we move them back down stairs in 6 months when our bubs will move upstairs, I wonder how long it will take them to settle back in to their downstairs routine.

Back