• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Could really use suggestions - Fattening a bunny up!

chloemurray

Warren Veteran
Since bonding, Benji has lost a considerable amount of weight, and Cupcake has gained a considerable amount.

Needless to say, Cuppy is eating all the food. I feed them together in the morning, but Benji gets a meal to himself at night. So far, it's not having any effect.:(

C's not overweight so I'm not worried, but Ben is DEFINITELY underweight. I literally have £1.86 to my name at the moment and am waiting for a cheque to clear, so I can't afford to go to my vet for suggestions right now.

So my question is:

What is the best way to fatten up a rabbit? :wave:

can you not hand feed pellets so you know each is getting their fair share?

i'm honestly not sure how else you could 'healthily' fatten a bunny up! :?

one of mine always seems skinny compared to the other 2 but the vet says she is still an ok weight, she eats well but never seems to put weight on..

sorry i'm a bit useless! :roll:

Oats are quite high in calories and my buns love them (not that they get them regularly - only in situations like this). It has helped mine put on weight in the past.

Some people make porridge up and their buns eat it this way, I just gave mine dry oats and they liked it equally as much. Hopefully they won't cost you too much either!

Barney eats a lot faster than Annabelle and so she never gets as much. I just give her extra sneaky bits of veg and pellets throughout the day when hes not looking, or if hes being a big pig that day I'll separate them to feed her.

Sugary foods are very high-cal. Carrots in particular, I'm sure he wouldnt say no to an extra few pieces. I have some dried carrot treats which are great. Seeds and nuts too - my two get the occasional monkey nut which they adore.

I was about to ask the exact same question!:shock: Lilah is sooo skinny cos she never got fed properly in her old home, and when I try to feed her more than the other buns she gets a runny tum :( Hope you can help Benji put on some weight soon xx

When you get paid I would suggest taking him for a vet check because we often put things down to circumstancial stuff and situations, but in a good few cases, it's actually medical.

Banana is good, oats (rolled, not quick or instant or flavoured) are good, black sunflower seeds are good, pellets higher in protein (like junior pellets) are good.

Really though it's not a case of fattening him up, itt's a case of adjusting their feeding routine so that it is healthy for them both.

I think you need to feed separately at all times. Could you have one bun at the top of the hutch and the other at the bottom for feeding time? Feed herbs seperate too but give benji loads. Obviously lots of hay too, mischief will only eat hay when it's just come out of the bag, maybe benji is the same? If so just top up his hay more often than usual even if there's already hay in the hutch. Pick grass for them to eat in the evenings too. :) Mischief has the same weight issue so that's why I suggested all that. xx

I think you need to feed separately at all times. Could you have one bun at the top of the hutch and the other at the bottom for feeding time? Feed herbs seperate too but give benji loads. Obviously lots of hay too, mischief will only eat hay when it's just come out of the bag, maybe benji is the same? If so just top up his hay more often than usual even if there's already hay in the hutch. Pick grass for them to eat in the evenings too. :) Mischief has the same weight issue so that's why I suggested all that. xx

Thanks Emma :) xxx

Back