• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New puppy with buns??

katie85

Young Bun
Please give me some advice. I'm getting a new puppy next Friday and was wondering how and if I should introduce him to my buns? My buns live in a big hutch in the garden and have a run outside, I do occasionally have them indoors.
Just would like some advice please on how to introduce them without the puppy getting hurt.
I know the buns won't get hurt as the pip is actually smaller than them at the moment lol

I wouldn't introduce until the puppy has grown into an adult. Puppies play quite rough, and their milk teeth are still sharp enough to cause serious harm to a rabbit.

As Mattyp says, your rabbits are likely to come off worst if anything happens even if they are bigger than the pup. I'd advise introducing them so the pup is used to being around the rabbits, but not letting them actually touch/interact at this stage. Keep the pup on a lead or in a pen when the rabbits are around.

Just to add my experience, not saying this is the right way or the wrong way but it worked for us.

We rescued a 12 week old rotti x collie from Many Tears and at the time had 3 bunnies in the garden in hutch/run combination. The first time we went into the garden we had max on a lead, this tells the dog your in charge for starters plus we can stop any bad behaviour. As soon as we stepped out of the back door we kept our voices very low and gentle and reassuring. We let max go up to the buns and sniff them, if he showed any sign of wanting to play with them we distracted him with one of his toys. We carried on doing this till he wasnt interested in them in their runs.

Next step was free ranging, when I am here at home the bunnies go on a rota system free ranging. Again we took him out into the garden on his lead and talked gently. If a bunny came up we would try and get him to sit, also we used the words....be gentle. Ok so he didnt know what it meant but he could tell by our tone. If he let the bun come up and sniff him without him wanting to play he would get a little dry biscuit treat.

He is now 2 and 1/2 years old and is very good with them, it took some hard work and to keep on but now he shares his living room with 2 oldies who are in an open pen. Some people would say this is irresponsible, be it on my head, and yes you cant trust them 100% but the interaction between bunny and dog is amazing. He even sometimes drops his teddy bears in the pen as if to say....here, would you like to play with them with me.

Be firm and be in control. I was commended the other day by a dog walker for Max being so obedient, I told the woman it took a lot of effort on our behalf. We dont use violence, we do use stern voices but also we give lots of controlled praise. It works but there again having a rottie you need to be incontrol. 35Kgs of power!!!!

Just to add my experience, not saying this is the right way or the wrong way but it worked for us.

We rescued a 12 week old rotti x collie from Many Tears and at the time had 3 bunnies in the garden in hutch/run combination. The first time we went into the garden we had max on a lead, this tells the dog your in charge for starters plus we can stop any bad behaviour. As soon as we stepped out of the back door we kept our voices very low and gentle and reassuring. We let max go up to the buns and sniff them, if he showed any sign of wanting to play with them we distracted him with one of his toys. We carried on doing this till he wasnt interested in them in their runs.

Next step was free ranging, when I am here at home the bunnies go on a rota system free ranging. Again we took him out into the garden on his lead and talked gently. If a bunny came up we would try and get him to sit, also we used the words....be gentle. Ok so he didnt know what it meant but he could tell by our tone. If he let the bun come up and sniff him without him wanting to play he would get a little dry biscuit treat.

He is now 2 and 1/2 years old and is very good with them, it took some hard work and to keep on but now he shares his living room with 2 oldies who are in an open pen. Some people would say this is irresponsible, be it on my head, and yes you cant trust them 100% but the interaction between bunny and dog is amazing. He even sometimes drops his teddy bears in the pen as if to say....here, would you like to play with them with me.

Be firm and be in control. I was commended the other day by a dog walker for Max being so obedient, I told the woman it took a lot of effort on our behalf. We dont use violence, we do use stern voices but also we give lots of controlled praise. It works but there again having a rottie you need to be incontrol. 35Kgs of power!!!!

Agree 100% with this - it's exactly what I did with puppies and bunnies. My dogs freerange with the bunnies now and I have no concerns.

again this is more or less what i have done with each of my dogs. jazz the youngest is a rottie x akita and i totally agree with the calm attitude.. i would hold my calmest bun and eventually let her sniff it.
she is now really good with them and i have had them in the house freeranging together over winter. she is very good and calm with them. she is my 4th dog to be brought up with and around the rabbits. :)

Back