• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Is it soon to neuter Womble?

popcornpigs

Young Bun
Hi - been to the vet today with Womble our 18 week ( approx) mini lop to finish his jabs and asked the vet to check his testicles :oops::oops: to see if they had dropped and asked was he ready for neutering yet. Anyway - the vet confirmed his plums were there :shock: albeit they are still very small and said he would neuter him now if we wanted to book him in... but he advised leaving it another 2 months to let him mature more first!! :(:( Well - Our dilemma is that we really are keen to bond him with our other bunny - a spayed 9 month old female called April and they have already had several "dates" together - they get on really well through the cage - lots of kissing and grooming through the bars but if let into the run with her all Womble wants to do is hump her :shock: she tolerates this for a while, she is a very docile bunny but then she really goes for him and chases him off nipping him. :cry: We simply cannot leave them alone together as she is a giant lop - she would hurt him! I really am in a dilema now - to leave them for another 2 months would bring them into the autumn time - Womble is so desperate to get out of his cage and into the run - he is constantly chewing at the bars. ( we swap them over so he gets a run and his scent is all over the run now anyway)

Does anyone else think it it too early to neuter or should I go for it and book him in? ( I think the main concern was his size as he is a mini and the anasthetic being a risk)

PS - I do realise he might still want to hump April after his op... how long does it take for the "urge" to go away?

Last edited:
Hi - been to the vet today with Womble our 18 week ( approx) mini lop to finish his jabs and asked the vet to check his testicles :oops::oops: to see if they had dropped and asked was he ready for neutering yet. Anyway - the vet confirmed his plums were there :shock: albeit they are still very small and said he would neuter him now if we wanted to book him in... but he advised leaving it another 2 months to let him mature more first!! :(:( Well - Our dilemma is that we really are keen to bond him with our other bunny - a spayed 9 month old female called April and they have already had several "dates" together - they get on really well through the cage - lots of kissing and grooming through the bars but if let into the run with her all Womble wants to do is hump her :shock: she tolerates this for a while, she is a very docile bunny but then she really goes for him and chases him off nipping him. :cry: We simply cannot leave them alone together as she is a giant lop - she would hurt him! I really am in a dilema now - to leave them for another 2 months would bring them into the autumn time - Womble is so desperate to get out of his cage and into the run - he is constantly chewing at the bars. ( we swap them over so he gets a run and his scent is all over the run now anyway)

Does anyone else think it it too early to neuter or should I go for it and book him in? ( I think the main concern was his size as he is a mini and the anasthetic being a risk)

PS - I do realise he might still want to hump April after his op... how long does it take for the "urge" to go away?

I would get him done now

My understanding is that males can be neutered as soon as the plums are there, which is normaly around 4 months old.

If your vet is a bunny savvy vet and he feels it is safe to neuter now then I would be guilded by him.

You will still need to wait AT LEAST 2 weeks post op till you start the bonding, more time if he is still showing hormonal behaviour.

The humping may subside around a month after his op but during bonding it will probably still happen but not due to sexual hormones but due to dominace.

Thankyou! :wave: That confirms things in my mind then... I will book him in! :D

Yes - rachylou, thanks I will wait at least 2 weeks after his op before bonding.. I think he might be the dominant one of the pair even though he is so tiny! My husband described him trying to hump April as being " like a pea on a drum"!!!!!!!!!:shock::shock::shock:

Back