• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Why do we have rabbits..........

The Duchess

Wise Old Thumper
It hurts so much when they leave us. It is so upsetting when they get ill and are in pain. We can't understand their discomfort because they can't talk.

I don't know how people like Liz at Rainbows do it, I have lost another of my special girls today, and for the umpteenth time in such a short time my heart breaks. Why do we keep coming back for more anguish.

I lose a piece of me, with everyone that leaves for the bridge.

Until the next poor soul that needs help anyway.......................

i thought this as soon as i lost the best bun ive ever had last week :cry: nan said but you know what they are like, they don;t live very long, and are delicate, i said yes but he was soo happy, soo healthy then just in one morning he was ill then gone :cry:, i said why do the best die young, why does nothing happen to my cousins rabbits whome are never vaccinated, live in hutches and not loved as much as mine :cry:

So sorry :(

We have rabbits because we want to do our best for them, and give them love and a good home. Every bunny who passes breaks our hearts, but would we be without the love they give to avoid the heartbreak...?

I felt like that when Tilly died, and vowed never to have anymore after Timmy. That was until I realised how much joy she bought to my life and how she was worth every tear and stab of grief :love:

(((HUGS)))

I'm so sorry Helen. I think its because they leave such a special imprint on your heart. The love you have for them (and I believe them for you) is so strong, that it breaks your heart when they have to leave.

There is a lyric I like that goes "in the end, all you can hope for, is the love you feel to equal the pain you've gone through". I think it should be vice versa almost, like the pain you feel equals the love.

I'm so sorry for your losses.

Because as well as bringing us pain, they also bring us an awful lot of joy which lives on longer than the pain when they leave.

I'm so sorry about Precious. You do such amazing work, but it must be just heartbreaking to lose them. We have bunnies because they are amazing little creatures, and bring such pleasure into our lives when we can see them displaying their natural behaviour, and enjoying their lives, particularly when it is a bun who had a sad start in life.

You really truly give your buns the best. I am so, so sorry for your loss today. You bring good things into the lives of so many bunnies x

"We who choose to surround ourselves
with lives even more temporary than our
own, live within a fragile circle;
easily and often breached.
Unable to accept its awful gaps,
we would still live no other way.
We cherish memory as the only
certain immortality, never fully
understanding the necessary plan."

~ Irving Townsend

Because we love them. 'Its better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.'

It is so sad when they die though. Especially if you feel its your fault. Same goes for any pets, especially very short lived ones. My last hammy is 2 years, 7 months and I always expect to see him dead when I check him :(

I think generally, on this forum, we also have them because we can bring so much to lives that have suffered and knowing we have brought that pleasure is worth suffering the pain.

Helen you do it because you are a wonderful kind human being full of love and compassion, you are willing to put yourself through heartbreak time and time again because without you where would they be, and in return they give you so much love and happiness back.

I have often thought why do I put myself through the pain but i soon think, what would life be like without them, who would I be? Think I would feel pretty empty inside. They are worth the pain we injure, they enrich our lives and we are better people because of them :)

So sorry Helen, but the reason we keep going is there are always more that need us. You do a fantastic job..so let yourself grieve..then give another piece of your super sized heart to the next one xx

The love and the pleasure you get from that special bun is worth the heartache. I wouldn't swap the time I have had with my two for the world, but I know it is going to hurt like hell if I lose them.

The bunnies whose lives you touch and enrich have a chance at happiness, love and moreover respect and consideration. No matter how much it hurts you now, imagine the lives of those special few had they never found you.

I don't know how rescues manage losing so many little ones and at times, I imagine, feeling so helpless. But thank goodness they do manage, because each and everyone has made the lives of so many precious creatures wonderful, if only for a short time.

Because these beautiful bunnies have much better lives thanks to us, and we have much richer lives thanks to them.

There is still a Squidgy sized hole in my heart, which I don't think will ever heal, and I've never felt so close to anything else than my Squidgyman, but life would have been so much worse with him in it.

Hugs to you. xxx

Back