• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

5 neuters in one day?

lottielouise

Wise Old Thumper
Would you, as a private person, get 5 bunnies neutered in one day?

2 girls
3 boys

No one is showing signs of hormones just yet, but again its at the front of my mind, Ive just rang the vets for quotes on their ops, £45 for boys £55 for girls, and asked about discount, for getting them all done together.

What Im worrying about is post op, infection, stress, ill be out at work for a good 8 hours a day etc, is a small discount worth it for all the extra fuss ( I would have to get a lift/taxi with having 5 buns, find an extra carry case cos Im down to one at the minute), and worry.

Think Ive answered my own question, but what do you think?

I did three boys in one day, and at other times have done two or three girls and found it less stressful than one, actually, because you have someone to compare them to.

How about doing the boys all on one day, and the girls on another?

u could stagger it a little bit mine offer a discount if they all in the same seven days....would that work better?
maybe ring and ask if thats possible...
btw thats really cheep my vets is £99 for girl £77 for boy :D

I've done 3 girls in one day, but only because they lived together. I personally wouldn't want to get so many rabbits done unless there was a reson behind it.

I did three boys in one day, and at other times have done two or three girls and found it less stressful than one, actually, because you have someone to compare them to.

How about doing the boys all on one day, and the girls on another?

I was thinking that.

I was thinking of getting the girls done ASAP, Im concerned Isla is getting on ( I thought she was 2-3 years when I got her, and Ive had her a year too but obviously she proved she isn't too old for babies, so I could be wrong on the age too)

Im just surprised at the relative cheapness of the op, it cost me £120 for Sophie to be neutered, but she had infection after taking out her stitches :( Obviously Manchester demands higher costs.

I've done 3 girls in one day, but only because they lived together. I personally wouldn't want to get so many rabbits done unless there was a reson behind it.

the girls live together, the boys live together. One boy has been offered a home, so long as he is neutered, but I can't see plums, hence the girls getting done first.

I had 4 boys done together, I actually found it easier as I only had to stress about them once. Plus it was only one set of vets visits. They did all live together though, I would do the same thing again.

cost me £100 just to get one bun spayed 0_o

my vets take the :censored: though and I cant wait to move away and got back to my old vets.....

this vets :censored: up yukis ear a piece of it died thanks to them leaving not inserting the drip thingy when they spayed her

when i took yuri to have hers with them they sent me home with the canular still in her ear so I had to go back which cost another £25 on top of the cab fair to get home....

grrrrrrrrrrrrr

I had three female kittens spayed together as soon as they were old enough. It was helpful as two of them didn't heal as well as the third so had to go back to the vet. If I hadn't had the other one to compare the wound with I may have just thought that was how it should be.

I was fortunate in that an animal charity helped me with the cost even though I work and am not on benefits.

I've had 7 all done together because they were a group of babies that cames in together, they were all fine and it was so much easier

I got my three boys done together. It was handy doing it all at once. Though it was a bit hard handfeeding them afterwards, one had to be handfed for 2/3 days and another for 5/6 days. :O

I think five is a bit much, I would prob get two done one day and then three dne another day.

cost me £100 just to get one bun spayed 0_o

my vets take the :censored: though and I cant wait to move away and got back to my old vets.....

this vets :censored: up yukis ear a piece of it died thanks to them leaving not inserting the drip thingy when they spayed her

when i took yuri to have hers with them they sent me home with the canular still in her ear so I had to go back which cost another £25 on top of the cab fair to get home....

grrrrrrrrrrrrr

Spaying buns in manchester is quiet costly. Me and Dom ( Happybunny22000) figured it was cheaper for her to drive to me, pick up bun get bun spayed and bring her back, with me paying petrol), than it would be to have her spayed with my usual vets. Its stupid! esp when you look at how many animals are bred in the manchester area, how many rescues there are, you would think they would be doing it at cost price for the sake of the animals

I am no expert...but I would be tempted to split them into "batches", say 3 and 2, because if any of them need special care, having five to keep an eye on could be tricky

Say one of them isn't eating, you take him back to the vets, when you come home a couple of others have pulled their stitches out....not the best example I know, but you get the idea.

Spaying buns in manchester is quiet costly. Me and Dom ( Happybunny22000) figured it was cheaper for her to drive to me, pick up bun get bun spayed and bring her back, with me paying petrol), than it would be to have her spayed with my usual vets. Its stupid! esp when you look at how many animals are bred in the manchester area, how many rescues there are, you would think they would be doing it at cost price for the sake of the animals

my vets claim to be "affordable" yeah.......

we will be getting our 4 girls done together - and poss the remaining boy if his balls have dropped by then (the other one dropped his weeks ago ad has already had them off :oops:)

The vet is giving us a discount anyway - but that way we only have to be worried sick for one day instead of two or three or 5!!

The vet says that if there is anything genetic wrong then they will pick t up on the first one and stop.

We had four foster babies done for BARC all on one day - 3 girls a colleague at work rehomed & a Finlay who we kept.

Me, Angie & Tracey at BARC were all nervous wrecks for a few days before & after - mainly because of when Leisel there mum was speyed :cry: She developed a haematoma that left her paralysed with her back legs & we were worried sick about her babies as there was a risk it was genetic :cry: She went to live with Jay & John at Ebony Eyes sanctuary after :)

I have to say I don't think I'd opt for so many doing all at once again, as my nerves were in shreds by the time they had recovered!! :oops:

Back