• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Lily gets so hungry! What to do?

Katie

Mama Doe
Right well we only ever fed dusty a teeny amount of pellets, he ate loads and loads of hay and fresh food once a day.

So.. lily was being fed junior pets at home nuggets, I haven't got round to changing them yet - i was thinking about moving her to science select now she's over 4 months. I was giving her about 20-25g of pellets per day (half in morning and half in evening) She was fed very little fresh food

I quote 'lettuce as a treat' :roll:

So we've been slowly introducing her to prevent tummy upset, but she's now eating a good helping of fresh food (kale, greens, spinach, carrot tops, teeny bits of carrot ocassionally) once a day. She eats loads of hay but she just gets soooo hungry in the evenings.

I thought at first that it was just the usually nibblly scrabbly thing that bunnies do but she ONLY does it in the evenig, she jumps on our laps on the sofa and hops on to our chests and rubs our noses, then licks all our hands and nibbles and scrabbles at our clothes, then she licks more vigorously and scrabbles more and more, chews more and more and when we clap/put her down on the floor she just persistently jumps back up.

As soon as we give her a few pellets or some more fresh food she settles down and flops out by our feet.

Are we giving into her demands? What should we do? I don't want to make this a habit, she shouldn't be having more pellets than I'm giving her - but then is it different when they are young?

Aghh any advice would be appreciated!!:wave::wave:

I would just give her more hay and see if that helps, my two are greedy and would love more pellets in the evening but I just give them hay and that seems to calm them down - otherwise they start chewing on the furniture :?

Bunnies do tend to always be hungry, they will eat all the time, that's why they should have hay all the time as too much veg and/or pellets is not good for them. It probably seems like it's just in the evenings because rabbits are crepuscular, meaning they are active at dawn and dusk.

I think it just sounds like she's learnt that doing that gets her some treats at that time of day.
My bunnies know when it's food time, and about half an hour before they're due to be fed they just sit and stare at me... Then as it gets closer they'll start jumping on me most of the time.
Then when I stand up, all hell breaks lose and they're cirlcing me and trying to trip me over :lol:

And all that is before I've even gone near their food to feed them! They just know :lol:

please weigh your bunnies at the vets and ask if he thinks your bunnies are overweight. If they are not, then I see no harm in gradually increasing their pellets by putting more pellets in the dish rather than hand feeding them.

As they get bigger I would have thought they would need more food.

Perhaps you could hand feed them other treats?

I do hope you're not going by the "eggcupful rule":oops: which I inadvertently started as one bunny almost died of malnutrition and stasis over this.(see other threads)

sue:wave:

What about giving her a bowl of 'special hay'? Dylan LOVEs that excel stuff with marigold in it, she's as happy with that as pellets? X

Back