• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

do i seperate them?

jackyshouse

Mama Doe
i have 2 one year old lionhead does......the smallest (sky) is obviously hormonal as she is chasing and humping summer she has also pulled out alot of her fur from underneath and is almost bald and some is red looking shes been vet checked ......my question is because they have been together in one hutch for a long time would it be wise to seperate them will it stress them or do i seperate them and hope it stops sky pulling her fur and making herself worse......the vet didnt know whats best as he said they could get depressed if i seperate them

sorry for the essay :oops:

I assume that they are not spayed ?

Do they have a large run attached to their hutch so they can get away from one another if they chose to ?

they arent spayed no....and yes they now have a run attatched

Then I would find a Rabbit Savvy Vet and discuss getting them spayed. This will improve their quality of life and prevent Uterine infections and Cancer. Uterine Cancer is very common in Does after the age of 4-5. Many die unnecessarily as by the time symptoms present the cancer has already spread.

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/content/info-sheets/uterine.htm

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/content/leaflet_pdfs/neutering28.8.07.pdf

are you completely sure one isn't pregnant?
Also the smell fo your other rabbits may have set off the chasing..so try to wash and change clothes before going near the new ones..I know you are quarantining anyway
if you split, then spey, the only problem may be they won't go back together..can you not spey ASAP?

I would if what you say is happening is happening I would book the appointment asap and separate them

thanx hun.....i was thinking that i probably should but im not a hundred percent sure thats why i thought i would ask for everyones opinion on here as i havent had this problem before....re spaying they are going to be spayed but patch my french lop comes first and i can afford to get one more aswell as her done but one is going to have to wait a little longer so i will probably get sky (the smallest and currently hormonal) and patch done and do summer a couple of weeks later...hope that makes sense :D

are you completely sure one isn't pregnant?
Also the smell fo your other rabbits may have set off the chasing..so try to wash and change clothes before going near the new ones..I know you are quarantining anyway
if you split, then spey, the only problem may be they won't go back together..can you not spey ASAP?

i had them at the vets first thing yesterday morning hun...not pregnant :D

Back